News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lubrication

Started by poppyz, December 30, 2010, 12:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppyz

I have two DCC engines, AT-A & GP-40 which I would like to lube,however, once the shells are off there is no easy access to the gear drives. I`ve been in model trains a long time and never seen where a field strip down had to be done in order to lubricate. Is this possible or is it that they do not need lube?
      Any advise?
                                              Thank you in advance, Happy New Year 

bobwrgt

Sorry that is the way they are made. You will have to get an oiler with a long stem to get at most of it. I have taken quite a few apart and most of the grease put on the worn has flung off when running anyway.

Bob

Jim Banner

Bob's experience with flung oil points to the need to apply the oil to the pinions, not the worm.  One small drop on the teeth of one pinion in each truck is enough for the gear oil to work its way onto all the teeth of all the gears.

Using an oiler with a built in needle, it is just as easy to lube the gears in your Bachmann GP-40 as it is to lube the gears in, for example, a similar Athearn locomotive.  And like the Athearn and many others, you also have the option of popping the bottom covers off the trucks if you don't want to bother taking off the shell.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

poppyz

Thank you for the quick replies,it is appreciated. Happy New Year!

vinodkelbaikar

I bought acela train set recently. I found that the trains need lubrication on regular basis but the product doesnt have any kind of documentation in particular for the acela trains about how to do lubrication.
Do anybody has any idea about it?

Doneldon

vino-

What do you mean by "regular basis?" And what causes you to say that your locos
need lubrication? Most HO locomotives require lubrication only once a year or so, on
average, unless they are run a great deal. Recognize that too much lubrication can
cause as many problems as too little.
                                                                               -- D