News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Edward running slowly

Started by meshy, January 05, 2011, 04:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meshy

We just purchased an Edward for Christmas and it runs surprisingly slowly. Our 'standard' engine (Devon Flyer Hornby) is about 3 times as fast. Is this normal? Are all the Thomas trains designed to run slow?

Thanks very much.

RGC

All my "Thomas and friends" are faster then any of my bachmann diesels.

SodorAdventures

Quote from: meshy on January 05, 2011, 04:23:05 PM
We just purchased an Edward for Christmas and it runs surprisingly slowly. Our 'standard' engine (Devon Flyer Hornby) is about 3 times as fast. Is this normal? Are all the Thomas trains designed to run slow?

Thanks very much.

Edward WILL be slower than hornby because they are built differnetly. My Hornby engines Run 2x the speed or my bachmann. Just the way it is.
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

PerfectPercy

Quote from: meshy on January 05, 2011, 04:23:05 PM

Thanks very much.

Is this the only Bachmann Thomas model you have? If so then Edward is has a lower-average speed out of all the Thomas models in the Bachmann range. Percy and James are the slowest. :( Thomas, the newer engines, and the larger express engines are fast. Gordon, Henry, and Spencer are probably the absolute fastest. They can get up to a good speed, but they are merely toys. That is what they are basically, toys. They are great toys all the same.  ;)

meshy

Thanks very much for the info - appreciated.  I guess not everything needs to be fast ;-)

JD417

what'cho talkin about willis? james aint the slowest :P :D my james is like the second fastest bachmann engine i own, behind gordon of course  ;)

PasqualeCS96

JD417

well then again mine has more weight so that may give him more grip to go faster or somthin  :-\

fighter4luv

Depending on the speed I have them set to on the dial... half speed, James can overtake Thomas, but if you set the dial to around 80, Thomas totally kills James in the speed department. Also, for some reason, my James doesn't move  unless the speed is set to 30 or more... and he'll just suddenly start up :( I wanna be able to start him slow like my other engines (for my videos).

Does this happen to everyone else's or is it just my particular one? :P

Edward is fairly slow, but still has a good speed. He seems to be faithful to the TV show when comparing.

PerfectPercy

Quote from: fighter4luv on January 07, 2011, 06:02:32 AM

Happens to me.

Quote from: JD417 on January 06, 2011, 11:13:36 AM
what'cho talkin about willis? james aint the slowest :P :D my james is like the second fastest bachmann engine i own, behind gordon of course  ;)

I wouldn't believe it until I see it, and you can take my word on that. James is as slow as Percy for me. They both don't start until about 30 mph on the dial, and they are the slowest Thomas models I possess.

Spencer, Gordon, and Henry are my fastest without a doubt, then comes Mavis, Toby, Salty, and Thomas, then Edward. Emily seems slower than Edward, but maybe faster than James and Percy, and it is acceptable because of her two drive wheels. Finally, James and Percy are the slowest, with their fruitful day and whatnot. ;)

My complaints for speed only arise in the last two. Edward is a good runner for what his background implies (old engine, slower engine). The others are just amazing in speed and they pull quite well. :)

Cheers

PerfectPercy

ThomasFan247

Quote from: fighter4luv on January 07, 2011, 06:02:32 AM
Depending on the speed I have them set to on the dial... half speed, James can overtake Thomas, but if you set the dial to around 80, Thomas totally kills James in the speed department. Also, for some reason, my James doesn't move  unless the speed is set to 30 or more... and he'll just suddenly start up :( I wanna be able to start him slow like my other engines (for my videos).

Edward is fairly slow, but still has a good speed. He seems to be faithful to the TV show when comparing.
All my engines did that for the longest time, then I oiled and greased the main gear that turns the wheels. Now, I can start my Thomas at 20 or 30, depending on the controller.