News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-6-0 switcher engine

Started by Rangerflyer, February 14, 2011, 01:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangerflyer

I just bought 2 little engines off of the internet both in boxes and both look brand new but they act like the gears are stripped. After looking closer it looks like the wheels are slipping on the axles can this be fixed?

ACY

Buying from ebay has its issues, and this may be one, the seller likely knew their condition, which is why he was selling them.

CNE Runner

ACY has certainly made a valid point: On eBay (and most other places) it is the buyer who must be aware. Having said that, it would be helpful to determine who manufactured your locomotives. Look on the bottom of the locomotive (usually the name of the manufacturer is cast/stamped there). If there is a tender, look on its bottom side as well. Assuming it is an old Mantua product, I would contact Yardbird Trains at:

These guys are experts in 'resuscitating' old (and new) Mantua products. Some time ago I sent them a Mantua 0-6-0T locomotive that didn't run worth a darn. They replaced the entire gear assembly and it now runs extremely well.

I hope this helps,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Doneldon

CNE

"These guys are experts in 'resuscitating' old (and new) Mantua products."

At what kind of price?
                                                     -- D

CNE Runner

Don - That question would be better answered by Yardbird Trains themselves. Either check out their website or call them directly. Frankly, I doubt they will give you a firm estimate of repair until they examine the locomotive in question. The Mantua 0-6-0T is a good looking locomotive that was never a good runner...Yardbird changed that in my case. I am sorry; but I don't remember the cost since I had the service done about 5 years ago...'still worth a try.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Doneldon

CNE-

Thanks for your response. I wasn't looking for any kind of a firm quote nor do I have a project to do. I was just wondering if they and I live on the same planet.
                                                                                                         Doneldon