News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Getting ready for first real layout

Started by daxdog, January 15, 2011, 10:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

were you aware that you can wire the variable dc output of the mrc power pack into the jump 1 ports of the zephyr and use it as a second throttle? this is the feature that sets the zephyr apart from the other dcc systems, and the main reason i chose it over the others.

overall the layout is looking good. are you going to elevate the mainline loop above your yard area? that would add some scenic interest to the plan.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

daxdog

I read something about being able to use a "smooth" DC controller, but I wasn't sure what that really means.  I may try doing that.

On Monday I have two DCC decoders arriving and one of them is for the turntable.  This will be my first experience installing a DCC decoder on anything.

I am planning on adding some variations in elevation to add interest.  Lowering the rail yard is a good idea.  That really goes along with my original idea to lower it below the front of the table, but your idea is good to lower it where it is.  I would love to be able to have it 2+ inches below the main line, and I think that it should be quite possible if I use enough foam under the rest of the layout.  Thanks for the idea.

jward

if you are using a mobile decoder for your turntable you should be able to run the turntable like it was a locomotive. it would respond to forward and reverse and speed commands just like any other decoder. what kind of turntable are you using?

as for elevation, you should be able to get your 2 inches from the end of the yard to the switch on the mainline loop. remember the mainline doesn't have to be level, and you can gain another inch or more of elevation on that turn from where your branch to the yard connects, to the front of the layout above the yard. that is enough clearance to run a spur under the mainline into that empty area inside the mainline loop at the far end of the layout. you could put a couple of factories or maybe a mine in there.

as an example of what i am talking about, here are a couple of scenes from my own layout where the mainline climbs up and over itself and the lead track into my yard.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

daxdog

Wow. Mine is not nearly as complex. Maybe in a few years I will be building more elaborate layouts like yours.

jward

yours may not be as complex, but it is much larger. the mainline occupies a space of 4x4 1/2, with the yard on a 2x6 extension. everything is built on white pine, cut and fit piece by piece, the track is hand laid, which gives me some flexibility that i wouldn't otherwise have. all switches are #5, including one in the yard built  with an 18" radius curved route. about 90% of the layout is visible in those 4 photos.

for now, you're much better off keeping things the way you have them. use the risers as you are planning to, to elevate your track. i like the plan you have so far....can't wait to see how things look once the tracks are elevated.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

daxdog

Here is what the layout looks like today.  I apparently had some s-curves in my layout that I didn't really notice until I ran more than just a locomotive through them.  I had to redesign part of the layout to avoid the s-curves.  I added two of the three bridges.  I need to add one more.

You can see that I added some support on the legs.  The table was very stable, but when I would move it I had to be so careful.  Now, it does not matter about moving it.  Every leg moves together.  The extra wood on the floor is going to become shelves for cars which are not currently on the track.

I cannot wait until I can start changing the elevations of the tracks.  I am thinking about using the Woodland Scenics Subterrain products in order to achieve the different elevations.  My plan is to have the far left and right be at about 2" except for the track coming down to the rail yard in the front.  It will be constantly declining until it connects to the flat rail yard.  The middle section will be around 3" with slight variations since that area will be mountainous. 

What is your opinion of the Woodland Scenics Subterrain products?
Do they work well with the Bachmann EZ-track?
If I go that route, should I use the Woodland Scenics roadbed in order to dampen the sound?

Thanks

jward

i used woodland scenics risers and roadbed on a previous n scale layout. i do not use them now because they are not compatable with my handlaid track. would i use them again? definitely, if i were using premade track again. they gave me no problems, or the roadbed either. would i advise the use of roadbed with ez track? no. you could do this but since ez track has the roadbed integral to it i fail to see the point. and the woodland scenics foam risers should provide any sound deadening you desire.

there are other methods of raisoing your track, but the foam risers have been the easiest i have seen. they are perfect for somebody just starting out.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: jward on February 01, 2011, 11:16:23 AM
i used woodland scenics risers and roadbed on a previous n scale layout. i do not use them now because they are not compatable with my handlaid track. would i use them again? definitely, if i were using premade track again. they gave me no problems, or the roadbed either. would i advise the use of roadbed with ez track? no. you could do this but since ez track has the roadbed integral to it i fail to see the point. and the woodland scenics foam risers should provide any sound deadening you desire.

there are other methods of raisoing your track, but the foam risers have been the easiest i have seen. they are perfect for somebody just starting out.

If I might just interject here, I'm glad to have this "review" of the WS riser system. I recently bought a book describing the use of the system, against the day when I'm able to construct a permanent layout, but it's good to have the opinion of someone with experience using the system.

Dax, looks to me like you'll be having a lot of fun running trains on that layout!  :D

Doneldon

dd-

I just want to let you know that I admire the care you are using in planning and building your new layout. You'll be glad you did this when you reach the operating stage and you've worked the bugs out in advance. One still might find its way onto your track but you have surely avoided most. The unavoidable bug is, of course, I want to run longer trains, have a bigger yard, operate larger locos, use some staging, build a real engine terminal, etc. That's not a bug which will inhabit your railroad but I'll bet it bites you sooner or later.
                                                                                                               -- D

jward

that's what ectensions are for.....

i know if i had the room my railroad would grow arms like an octopus.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

daxdog

Quote from: jward on February 02, 2011, 07:32:38 PM
that's what ectensions are for.....

i know if i had the room my railroad would grow arms like an octopus.

I am afraid that mine will. I am thinking of adding a couple of spurs that will be able to easily attach to additional tables with more track!

Terry Toenges

Some ideas for layout stuff.
At the top part of this page, there are some layout ideas I experimented with.
http://www.sarget.com/atempstuff
Some EZ Track siding info and dimensions here -
http://www.sarget.com/trains/traintips/bach/traintip-eztrack.html
Feel like a Mogul.

Doneldon

TT-

Man! You've got a lot of track on sme of those boards. I like
the last layout which you have on the foam. It looks like it
would be fun to run.
                                                     -- D

jward

i especially like the ones where you used the woodland scenics risers. i believe elevation changes add a whole new dimension to a model railroad.......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

daxdog

Had a snow day off from work today which turned into train day!  I changed up the layout some and added risers and inclines.  Most are 2% with a few short 4% sections.  The overall layout changed so a train never has to take a turnout to stay on the mainline.  This also gave me more room for the Mississippi River on the left but took out a little from my railyard.  About 90% of the risers and inclines are still held in with pins, but a couple of spots are glued down.

Next I have to order a girder bridge, the supports for the bridges, and tunnel entrances.  I also need to add one more car shelf underneath the other three on the end of the table and four shelves on the opposite end.