News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Getting ready for first real layout

Started by daxdog, January 15, 2011, 10:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: daxdog on February 10, 2011, 07:38:59 PM
Had a snow day off from work today which turned into train day!

A perfect way to spend a snow day!  :D

Your layout is shaping up really nicely. I'm envious.  :)

jboot111

i wish i could make as good a layout as you

daxdog

Quote from: jboot111 on February 12, 2011, 02:08:13 PM
i wish i could make as good a layout as you

I'm sure you can. This is my first one. It just takes time and patience.

I look at the layouts in Model Railroader Magazine and wish I could do a layout like those.

daxdog

I hope to start with the plaster next weekend.  Before I do, what should I do with my rail yard?  Do I need to put any sort of foam underneath it?  I want it to be flat and noise does not seem to be an issue running my switcher on it now. If I do not use any sort of foam or risers underneath it, do I need to plaster it before painting it gray and spreading gray ballast over the area?

Thanks,

George

Doneldon

dd-

You can paint directly on your foam without any problems. The only thing is, you'll have a pool table flat surface which isn't exactly like the real world. Vary the color and add some texture (sand, a little bit of ballast, rock pile bumpers and some foliage) to conceal this. The perfectly flat surface is otherwise desirable since it means your railcars will stay where you place them.

-- D

jward

the best advice i can give is to cover your railr with masking tape before you apply plaster in the area. this keeps you from having to clean plaster droppings off the track, and from having to deal with contact problems as a result.

but first, are your trains operating reliably? it is harder to fix problems with the track after the scenery is installed so now is the time to perfact your track.

as for the yard area, i wouldn't bother with foam under it. most small yards have minimal ballast under them. they are not raised like the mainline tracks are.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA