News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

track

Started by tlnibert, June 19, 2007, 12:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlnibert

I hear that the track I use is about to double in price.  It was not the best but the cheapest, my reason for buying it.  The time are made from solf plastic and don't last long.
Is it possible that Bachmann may start selling outdoor track?
A New England brand of track is better than anything else availabile now.
Tom

Kevin Strong

The only problem with Bachmann joining the track game (or would that be track gang?) is that they'd be constrained by the same materials costs that are causing the increases initiated by Aristo-Craft. Add to that the timeline for getting something into production and out the door, and you're still a year (at least) away with no guarantee that prices would be any different.

I'd look at USA Trains' track, which is virtually indistinguishable from Aristo's anyway. (I'm told they come from the same factory in China.) USA Trains hasn't increased their prices (yet) so they're still fairly reasonable.

I think, however, the best solution is to take this as an opportunity to look at your plans for your railroad and see if there are things that can be cut back for the time being (a second loop, spur to the garage, etc.). Add them later, with next year's track budget. You may find that your railroad is just as--if not more--enjoyable without the extra trackage.

Later,

K

bobgrosh

Quote from: Kevin Strong on June 19, 2007, 12:28:10 PM
I think, however, the best solution is to take this as an opportunity to look at your plans for your railroad and see if there are things that can be cut back for the time being (a second loop, spur to the garage, etc.). Add them later, with next year's track budget. You may find that your railroad is just as--if not more--enjoyable without the extra trackage.

Later,

K
Smart move Kevin.
Advise everyone to hold off a year. That gives you and I a chance to find and hoard all the existing stock. Then they can buy it a year from now at twice or three times the price. I think I'll buy ten times what I need and resell it in a year or two to finance a few K-27's. ;D

Steve Stockham

Hey! No fair!! That was supposed to be my plan!!! ;) ;D

petertoot

hey thats a good idea,but here in aussie,we dont have the amount of shops to buy at the right price,i think aluminim track might be worth a try,just wait and see.peter

tlnibert

I just traded for a box of USA track and it far better than the other brands. Mostly the ties are stronger.
I have about 1100 feet of track down and five full boxes (300 feet) unopened.  I don't have the elbow grease it takes to  get it going.
tom

Jim Banner

Quote from: petertoot on June 20, 2007, 06:58:54 AM
hey thats a good idea,but here in aussie,we dont have the amount of shops to buy at the right price,i think aluminim track might be worth a try,just wait and see.peter

Aluminium track works just fine for track power, both dc and DCC, if you oil the rails slightly.  Too much oil will cause a loss of traction.  One drop of light oil every 100 feet does wonders to keep aluminium rail clean without loss of traction.  I use Labelle 108 and similar oils. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.