News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hornby on Bachmann track?

Started by TheJJ, January 16, 2011, 06:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJJ

Ok so lets say I have a basic Bachmann Thomas set, and I order a Hornby Stepney would it run on that Bachmann EZ track?

Anthony P2

yes because 00 scale and HO scale are basically the same thing.

Glennock

Quote from: Anthony P2 on January 16, 2011, 07:22:02 PM
yes because 00 scale and HO scale are basically the same thing.

No.

HO is 3.5mm to the foot.

OO is 4mm to the foot.

Both ranges are technically OO, seeing as Bachmann's items scale up to it.

~G

thomasj219

They are within a tenth of an inch and really the same thing, in the terms of being able to run. I use HORNBY track I like  it much better.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

branmas

not to get off topic, but will a bachmann loco be able to pull hornby rolling stock?

Cheeky_ULP

Glennock

Quote from: thomasj219 on January 16, 2011, 08:32:20 PM
They are within a tenth of an inch and really the same thing, in the terms of being able to run. I use HORNBY track I like  it much better.

I hate to burst your bubble, but a lot of proper modellers would chew you up for saying such things. Whilst both run on 16.5mm track, they are different scales. Put a OO Peco (or such) figure next to a HO Preiser one and you will see a good difference.

To show there is a difference, here are two models of the same class. The main thing is, the smaller one is HO and the bigger is OO.

As you can see, there is a huge difference. British items would be dwarfed by American-outline rolling stock, seeing as it's prototypically built to a smaller loading gauge.

~G

Hamish K

Hornby and Bachmann Thomas products will operate together and run on the same track. Yes British OO is a different scale but on the same track as HO. However Bachmann Thomas items are not really to scale, the locomotives are mainly models of the TV/video series depictions, and the TV/video locomotives are not accurate representations of the real prototypes. Hornby's tend (not always) to be closer to the real life prototypes, thus less like the TV/video depictions. Bachmann Thomas Rolling stock is often British OO stock adapted from Bachmann's British range. Both Bachmann and Hornby use standard British style couplings for their Thomas products.

With non Thomas items it is different. Then the size difference is often very noticeable, and HO does not use British style couplings so to operate together couplings need changing.

I hope this clarifies things.

Hamish

SodorAdventures

Quote from: Sparks on January 17, 2011, 03:45:12 AM
HO and OO items are compatible.

yes, but I always need to lift the the first piece of HORNBY rolling stock up to make click in on thomas or whoever bachmann makes
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

PasqualeCS96

Quote from: SodorAdventures on January 17, 2011, 07:27:31 AM

yes, but I always need to lift the the first piece of HORNBY rolling stock up to make click in on thomas or whoever bachmann makes
What do you mean by lift?

SodorAdventures

Quote from: PasqualeCS96 on January 17, 2011, 08:17:36 AM
Quote from: SodorAdventures on January 17, 2011, 07:27:31 AM

What do you mean by lift?

Exactly, lift up the piece of roling stock to couple on with thomas, his coupler is placed higher
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

thomasj219

Quote from: Glennock on January 17, 2011, 05:02:21 AM

I hate to burst your bubble, but a lot of proper modellers would chew you up for saying such things. Whilst both run on 16.5mm track, they are different scales. Put a OO Peco (or such) figure next to a HO Preiser one and you will see a good difference.

To show there is a difference, here are two models of the same class. The main thing is, the smaller one is HO and the bigger is OO.

As you can see, there is a huge difference. British items would be dwarfed by American-outline rolling stock, seeing as it's prototypically built to a smaller loading gauge.

~G

I wasnt talking about the actual trains of course HO is bigger, i was talking about the distance between rails.

Glennock

Quote from: thomasj219 on January 17, 2011, 09:18:49 AM
Quote from: Glennock on January 17, 2011, 05:02:21 AM

~G

I wasnt talking about the actual trains of course HO is bigger, i was talking about the distance between rails.

The distance between the rails is the same, has been since the 1930's.

thomasj219

Thats what i always assumed but Isnt the thickness different or something, thats what the man at my Hobby Shop said, I didnt think so but BACHMANNS thomas models are really OO, HO items are much larger than them.

pjsdad

"HO items are much larger than them."

not following, first of all 4mm is bigger than 3.5 no? secondly Thomas is distinctly too big when set next to a regular HO loco.