News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

I'm Stuck!

Started by Keusink, January 16, 2011, 09:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keusink

Tried setting up isolated program track today.
Components: Zephyr, Digitrax PTB 100, DPDT toggle, center off, for dual use.
Used 2 different Bachmann F7's, DCC no sound.

First try, PTB 100 flashes rapid red, can't read back CV's or addresses.

Second try, disconnect DPDT, hook up PTB 100 directly to power and Zephyr. Can't read back.

Last try, hook up Zephyr directly to program track. Can change address, can't read back. Change outputs to Zephyr, locos run. Change back to program, addresses will change, but won't read back.

Bought zephyr used, but don't see why it would run locos, change addresses, but not read back addresses.

Help?

Chris

Jim Banner

Hello Chris,

Hunt's solution works great when using the Zephyr alone and I use it regularly.  But let's see if we can now figure out what is happening with your PTB100.

I don't know much about the PTB100 (which is made by Soundtraxx, by the way, not by Digitrax) but let me take a guess.  I suspect it has to be connected to the Zephyr's programming output, to power, and to the programming track.  I further suspect that the programming track must be connected only to the output of the PTB100 when the latter is used and must not be connected to the Zephyr at the same time.  I think that a rapid flashing red is a fault indication, possibly meaning the supply voltage is too low.  Without knowing where in the world you live, I won't hazard even a wild guess about what sort of power supply you might be using for your Zephyr.  But check your PTB100 manual to see if I am correct about the rapid flashing red, and if I am, to see what minimum voltage your PTB100 needs.  Then check your power supply, preferably with a meter, to see if it is delivering enough voltage when both Zephyr and the PTB100 are connected and turned on.

Best of luck with it.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Keusink

Thanks very much, gents.

Mr. Hunt, funny the Zephyr manual does not mention the resistor, but I'll try it.

Jim, you're right on all counts, and I tried a DPDT (wires not kitty cornered) to go from direct run of train on one side, isolated programming on the other side. PTB100 is powered by a separate 15 V source wall-wart type power source. Litchfield Station has a photograph of the PTB100 hookup straight (without DPDT option, Gartner site has DPDT diagram for same, tried all of the above, Acquired 6 Bachmann and one Intermountain Sound DCC's recently, so I sure would like to know what's going on.

Anyone else have a thought?

Chris

railsider

The 12v lamp across the track circuit of a programming track sounds like a great idea ... providing just one more bit of information to help one understand what's happening.

Perhaps this should be a standard fixture on programming tracks?