sound decoders for the GP38-2 and the GP40 Deisel engines

Started by LocoJon, January 18, 2011, 12:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LocoJon

is there any sound decoders available for these two engines? If so, what are they.

ACY

From Bachmann??? If that is what you are asking, there are no diesel/electric sound decoders available from Bachmann. Incidentally there is not enough room inside either one of these locos for a sound decoder, speaker and baffle without first milling out part of the shell, removing/reallocating some things, and then being pretty talented. If you buy a Athearn (or other manufacturer) dummy/non-powered unit that matches each of the locos then you can double head with them, and you could put the sound in the dummy unit and even wire the dummy for pickup, so they don't have to be permanently mu-ed together.

richg

I looked though the loco diagrams and adding sound will not be easy. No hand holding here. You will have to do a lot of measuring, grinding. Searching out decoder types, speaker types, sizes, etc. In other words, you have to know what you are doing.
By doing a Google search you can find out what prime mover was used in each type. I would recommend a Tsunami but that is my opinion if you ever go down that path.
SoundTraxx has a few suggestions for diesel sound decoders but the two you ask about are not in their list and the ones they do suggest, they do not tell you how to do it.
Bachmann is going to have to retool the frame for sound from what I see so far.
When I did a sound install in the 44 ton and 70 ton diesels, I had to do a lot of work but I knew that when I started. That was part of the challenge.
The 44 ton required some grinding and both needed some parts removed or modified.
Please remember, DCC is not plug and play for many locos.

Rich

LocoJon

Thanks to all that have responded.  I too saw some of the same problems mentioned, but was hoping for that someone maybe had found a way to curb this issue.  Again thanks