News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What happened to big power packs?

Started by Albert in N, January 18, 2011, 01:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert in N

My Spectrum Magnum power pack was purchased new at Hobby Lobby several years ago.  It is a decent power supply that has a little more voltage than my MRC pack.  The extra voltage comes in handy when starting cold Bachmann GP40/F9 or Spectrum F7 units.  Also, the control knob on the Magnum is neat, as is the on/off switch.  Why were they discontinued by Bachmann?

ACY

It was about 4 years ago, if I recall correctly.

bobwrgt

Go to Ebay and check under N and HO scale and you can find plenty of them New.

Bob

Albert in N

Again, why were these fine power packs discontinued?  Mine works fine, as does my dual control MRC pack.  Bachmann had advertised them in the train magazines some 5 years ago and they were available for sale until about 4 years ago.  Sure you can get one on EBay, but you risk getting a lemon or having your identity stolen.  I prefer to buy new at a hobby shop or bargain with cash at a train show.  Anyway, most serious model railroaders want a decent power pack, a notch above the beginner two part train set contoller.  The Spectrum Magnum series was nice!

ACY

There is a place in PA that had a bunch of new old stock Bachmann Spectrum train sets, like  the Acela, Frontiersman, Explorer, The Keystone & Cavalier and they all had the Magnum power packs. Don't recall prices, as I was there in early December, but they were there in large numbers. This is what most of the sets looked like:

Called, they still have a few sets left...2 Explorer sets $185 each, 1 Cavalier $235, 2 Frontiersman $170 each, 1 explorer (newer) $300, and 1 Acela $275. They all have Magnum packs and are all new in the original shrink wrap, but there are no returns or exchanges on these sets because they are clearance.

bobwrgt

If you can't find a Bachmann go for an  MRC. I have one that has served me well for 25 years and two others for 15+ years with no problems. Still using all three on my G,HO, and N scale trains.
By the way you can have your identity stolen at the local grocery store, restaurant, gas station or other business. I have been on the internet and mail order for 40+ years and have never had a problem.
They probably discontinued them because the new one is cheaper to make for their train sets.
Bob

Albert in N

Thanks guys!  That photo of the old Spectrum set was eye candy.  Given the fact that the Spectrum Magnum power packs are no longer made, I will replace with a MRC power supply when necessary.  My other pack is MRC and works great.  Since no one posted about problems with the discontinued Spectrum Magnum pack, I guess that they just did not sell well and were dropped.  I still use DC and have not upgraded to DCC.  Since my layout is compact and I simply run trains, DC with passing sidings works fine for me.  DC also allows me to enjoy some older N scale locomotives, plus saves a few bucks.