AUTO-REVERSE SYSTEMS AND TRACKS

Started by Bobofthedesert, January 18, 2011, 06:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobofthedesert

Hi   I an a newbie.  Please explain to me how auto-reverse systems and track work.  Do you need special track, or can you use regular track?  How does it operate and what exactly does it do?   Thanks for your help.  Bob.

ACY

If you buy the Bachmann HO or On30 trolley set with the building that contains a reversing unit, you can make a point to point reversing layout. The necessary components are the reversing building included in the set, and if you are a beginner reversing track for the whole duration. If you are experienced then you can probably wire it so you do not need reversing track for all of it.
If you buy a Bachmann auto-reversing unit then you can make a layout with a reversing loop or reversing section that is part of a larger layout, all this module does is change the polarity of the rails when the train enters or exits the loop. This can only be used if you have a DCC system. This one does not require reversing track, but can not be used with a point to point trolley type layout.

OldTimer

The National Model Railroad Association (NMRA) has a wonderful set of articles for beginners.  Check it out here:

http://nmra.org/beginner/consist.html

Good luck and welcome to a great hobby.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

Doneldon

Bob-o-t-D -

I don't thin we have enough information to answer your question yet unless we make some assumptions which may or may not be accurate. What do you mean by "reversing track," a length of track with a train which goes back and forth and which goes backwards half of the time or a loop at the end of a run of track which comes around 180o and lets the train go back down the same track with the front of the train still in front? Which one you mean has a big effect on the answer you receive.

-- D