News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N Scale Steam

Started by david coates, January 18, 2011, 07:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david coates

I started N scale in the 60's with Postage Stamp Trains.  Since then I have been in about every scale.  I am pleased to see the advances Bachman has done to N scale steam, however I wonder about a few things that they and others have done to advance the level of steam.

Why no working front couplers?

Why no options as to coal to oil bunkers?

Why no uniform drawbar connections on all tenders?

Why no optional parts, as in HO or On30, such as doghouses, trailing- lead truck, or domes?

The new 4-6-0 may lead me back into N.  A complete USRA selection would put me over the top.

David Coates

ACY

I know at least some of the Bachmann N scale locos have working front couplers. Due to the variability in engines, and making them able to run on tighter radius track then others it is difficult to make uniform draw-bars. There are rarely optional parts because today's model railroader likes RTR and instant gratification, and it would increase the cost quite a bit, and most would not use/want the optional parts and would not be happy paying more for something they don't use/want. Furthermore, it would probably be pretty difficult for most people without a good amount of experience to apply the small detail parts.

skipgear

Working front couplers are tough as most people don't double head steam and would rather have a scale coupler up front than the clunky oversize N scale coupler. Most all the loco's can be converted without too much effort to Z scale couplers.

Model Power does offer an oil bunker version with their short Vanderbilt tender. So far, very little steam that Bachmann has produced would be seen on oil with the USRA tenders that they come with. The Vanderbilt tenders offered are distinctly C&O and being that C&O was a coal railroad, there was never a thought of using oil in them.

Since Bachmann released the add on / replacement tenders, drawbar length has been the same on all subsequent models.

Option parts would be nice but there are quite a few suppliers out there of detail parts if you need them; Detail Associates, Precision Scale, Details by Eric, and a few others I am sure I have forgoten.

The USRA loco's have been pretty much covered, just not by Bachmann alone.

The currently available USRA loco's are:

USRA 0-6-0 - Bachmann Standard line
USRA 0-8-0 - Walthers (Out of production now, hope to see more soon)
USRA 2-8-2 Lt - Model Power (Good running loco made better with a Bachmann Tender)
USRA 2-8-2 Hvy - Kato (Out of production but many still around)
USRA 4-6-2 Lt - Model Power (Good running loco made better with a Bachmann Tender)
USRA 4-8-2 Lt - Bachmann
USRA 4-8-2 Hvy - Bachmann
USRA 2-6-6-2 (C&O H5) - Bachmann
USRA 2-8-8-2 (N&W Y-3) - Walthers (Out of production now, hope to see more soon)

The only thing missing is a 4-6-2 Heavy and a 2-10-2. I don't count the ConCor 2-10-2 because it is grossly out of proportion.

Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

the Bach-man

Dear David,
We are committed to upgrading our entire N Scale line, and I'll certainly pass along your suggestions.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

David Leonard

Another useful idea would be to make drawbars with two holes for connecting to the engine. Those who want a closer connection could cut the extended part (long hole and wires) off.

david coates

Love all the comments.

Working front couplers would be favored by me for switching.

Being a Texan, many USRA style tenders had oil bunkers, i.e. MKT, T&P, MP,etc.

USRA 4-6-2's and 2-8-2's, light and heavy, with the level of detail Bachman uses[such as seperate handrails] would be very desirable for the above roads.

Extra parts on On30 and HO Bachman locos don't seem to add very much costs.

Overall I think we are all on the same page.  Very to see Bachman lead the way with quality N scale steam.  It will lead many ex-pats back to N scale.  All comments are just observations of things learned in other scales.

David Coates

sd45elect2000

How bout a great running 4-8-4 with a common driver size and a zillion different boiler shells for your favorite RR or RR's ? D&H today ... Soo Line tomorrow ...

dtpowell

Thinking on what Bachmann has in the line of steam. I wondering if it would be too much trouble to produce a B&O T type 4-8-2 with the, already available, Vanderbilt tender? A slight modification of moving the pumps to the pilot deck and adding a shield doesn't seem like too much to ask. If it is, just leave them alone and I'll add the shield myself.

in_eden

I lettered an undecorated heavy mountain for B&O, and wrote the bachmann regarding the same thing two years ago.
B&O had T3 and T4 class 4-8-2s
T3:
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/bo5556s.jpg
Rebuilt out of boilers from S Class 2-10-2's
T4:
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/bo5656s.jpg
purchased from Boston & Main and "B&Oized".

Bachmann would have to add a few custom options... steam chest on pilot, some pumps... and a 6 wheel tender to make them really look the part... but at least the base is there. Most were standard tenders, but several were mated to Vanderbilts.
These entered service in the early 40's, and were still active on western district lines as late as 1958.

If Bachmann ever re-runs the heavy mountain, I BEG that they make a B&O superdetail, rather than another ugly C&O!

And then work on the pacifics! I need some P7s!

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/bo5309s.jpg
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/bo5316sa.jpg

(It's close enough to a K4 to make both...)

skipgear

The T3's could be made from the Light Mountains fairly close. The T4 would be a slam dunk on the Heavy Mountain chassis. Just having the tenders would be worth it.

I've been told Bachmann may have something up their sleeve for the NY Toy Fair announcements. We'll just have to wait and see.
Tony Hines

johnTom

Out of curiosity what would it take to produce the N-Scale 4-4-0's,0-6-0's and 2-6-2's or any other N-Scale steam loco's to have DCC in them or ready for a drop in decoder.
I like U.S. HISTORY, railroad history.etc...

Tom

dtpowell

Quote from: skipgear on February 04, 2011, 12:03:06 AM
The T3's could be made from the Light Mountains fairly close. The T4 would be a slam dunk on the Heavy Mountain chassis. Just having the tenders would be worth it.

I've been told Bachmann may have something up their sleeve for the NY Toy Fair announcements. We'll just have to wait and see.

You've sparked my curiosity Skipgear.....I'll be optimistic..and hope there'll be some new mid sized steam....pray a EM1 (I am dreaming)

ericw95

i completely agree with sd45elect2000, id really like to see a spectrum 4-8-4 with many choices of roadname. the standard line runs great after i tweaked it a little but it is slightly lacking in detail. Great for the price though compared to some other similar locos.

kmcsjr

Quote from: johnTom on February 04, 2011, 07:53:47 AM
Out of curiosity what would it take to produce the N-Scale 4-4-0's,0-6-0's and 2-6-2's or any other N-Scale steam loco's to have DCC in them or ready for a drop in decoder.
I'm wondering the same thing. Most of the bigger stuff is done, with DCC or DCC ready.  Well, for now I'd settle for those models, smooth, quiet, reliable and a with a detailed cab. DCC would be a bonus, if I ever get there!

skipgear

The 0-6-0's really don't need changing to make them DCC ready. In it's simple form, two wires from the motor, to a decoder in the tender, using the DCC ready tenders and you are done. If you want to add headlight then another 2 wires, and if you want to duplicate the drawbar frame connection with wires, 2 more. Bachmann could simply make a wiring harness and change to the DCC ready tenders and the 0-6-0 would be done.

The 4-4-0 lacks space. The only way I could see it being done is with a custom board designed to fit around the motor some how.
Tony Hines