Recommendation for a 4 truck loco in HO scale

Started by index2020, January 20, 2011, 12:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

index2020

I am looking at the Athearn GE U50, a 4 truck DCC locomotive and like what I see. Problem is that it won't be available till 9/2011.

I am looking for an alternate 4 truck DCC loco in Bachmann (or even any other brand) that's available to ship now. I don't seem to be able to find anything - what am I missing?

Cheers,

ACY

Click here: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewCat&catId=193
to browse Bachmann's DCC diesel and electric locomotives. They have a ton of 4 axle locos with DCC.

Doneldon

ACY-

He's looking for four truck locos, not four axle locos.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Bachmann
makes any.
                                           -- D

index2020

Quite correct. I am looking for 4 TRUCK diesel locos. Any recommendations outside of Bachmann perhaps? 

jward

on the prototype, the u50, some gas turbines (athearn) a few electrics like the gg1, the baldwin centipede and the alco c855 are the only ones that come to mind. none of these were made by bachmann. however, the dda40x is. it is a monster, more powerful than the u50, ridinig on 2-8 wheel trucks rather than 4-4 wheel trucks. the centipedes were released last year by broadway limited. they are also monsters with a 4 wheel truck at each end, and two 8 wheel trucks in the center. on the pennsylvania railroad, they were only capable of running in pairs, with vital components split between the two locomotive in such a way that neither of them could run by itself.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

index2020

Thanks - this is super helpful. Questions:

1. My initial online research indicates that Bachmann currently make something called the DD40AX (not the DDA40X). Are these the same thing?

2. It it seems from my initial online research that Bachmann previously made the DD40AX with a single motor, and a single/no-fly we. The current version has 2 motors and multiple flight meets. I'm looking to buy this online - is there anyway I can tell visually, which is the new version?

3. Bachmann's website doesn't seem to have a schematic/parts diagram for DD40AX. any ideas on where I might find one?

ACY

The DD40AX and the DDA40X are commonly used to name the same loco. The new version will be Spectrum, some older versions were not. Here is the diagram from the 1990 model...if using firefox right click on the image and click view image to see a larger version.

index2020

Thanks. Looks like this is the single (pancake) motor version which I am trying to avoid?

Stephen D. Richards

The DD40Ax has been called by many variations in the past and present.  Chech the EMD or wikipedia websites for the correct designator and history.  Bachmann has actually made three different variations that I know of to date!  The first one is the pancake single motor version.  Almost to lite for use!  All plastic body and no weight.  The second version was a Spectrum as well and was the most correct version of anyone at the time.  I had two motors and was very heavy a good puller!  I currently have five of them.  The last version is also a two motor  and looks very good plus the added benefit of DCC on Board already.  I'm getting one soon.  The second version is a real good puller!  They are very difficult to find these days.  Don't be afraid to try the new one Bachmann has.  The older Spectrums are very expensive now.  Hope that helps some.  Stephen

jbsmith

jward

yes, those are the centipedes i was talking about. note that the pennsylvania ones are listed as a1 and a2. they ran in pairs and shared equipment between the two locomotives. off the top of my head, i think the generator was in one locomotive and the air compressors for the brakes were in the other. as such, theywere unable to operate as single units. not sure about the seaboard and mexican ones.....my friend has a pair of them and they are HUGE, comparable in size to a big boy without tender.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA