Basic Engine/Track Maintenance Tips

Started by fighter4luv, January 19, 2011, 08:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fighter4luv

Hey everyone!
As some of you may know, I'm still fairly new to the model train world, and I think it's about time that I get into the maintenance side of things... since getting my set, I have not once maintained anything...

In not using it for a week, I have found that now the engines are derailing quit a lot and randomly stopping. I'm guessing this would be coz I have not cleaned Thomas or any of his friends since getting them in Dec 2010.

I was wondering if everyone could pitch in with any tips they know about to help with fixing problems.

What type of maintenance should be done with the engine and tracks for the HO scale (lubricating, cleaning, etc.).

Thanks in advance!

TheJJ

I'll be honest in saying I haven't got any maintenance done on my engines since I got them. The only problems they have are as listed....
5.)James can sometimes get derailed over switches.
6.)Percy stops randomly but if you tap the track he is fine again.
7.)Toby runs ridiculously slow. (Without pulling anything)
All of my other engines are fine.

Richie

Re: Lubricating, I use 101 Super Lubricating Oil, with just a tad on each of the gears. Works a treat. Not sure if it's US available though. ::)

Re: Cleaning, I rub a fibreglass brush on each of the wheels. For track cleaning, I use a track rubber.

fighter4luv, if you haven't used them for a while, I recommend giving the wheels and track a clean, and a bit of lube on the gears.

JJ96, Percy stopping randomly. Is your track secured to a baseboard? If not, it's because the track surface is not even. James derailing. How fast do you run him? And which track brand is used? Toby running slowly could be down to either unclean wheels, gears needing cleaning, or a lack of weight. For the latter, use some Liquid Lead, or just plain lead.

Hope this helps you guys!  :)
Join my Thomas and modelling forums at http://modelsofsodor.proboards.com/index.cgi/ Please, we only have 3 members!

SodorAdventures

Quote from: Richie on January 19, 2011, 12:23:17 PM
Re: Lubricating, I use 101 Super Lubricating Oil, with just a tad on each of the gears. Works a treat. Not sure if it's US available though. ::)

Re: Cleaning, I rub a fibreglass brush on each of the wheels. For track cleaning, I use a track rubber.

fighter4luv, if you haven't used them for a while, I recommend giving the wheels and track a clean, and a bit of lube on the gears.

JJ96, Percy stopping randomly. Is your track secured to a baseboard? If not, it's because the track surface is not even. James derailing. How fast do you run him? And which track brand is used? Toby running slowly could be down to either unclean wheels, gears needing cleaning, or a lack of weight. For the latter, use some Liquid Lead, or just plain lead.

Hope this helps you guys!  :)

Well, I dont think lubrication is what the problem is. If you just recently setup the layout again, check to make sure the track is connected and the wires are connected. Lube would be next, though. I never really needed lube, but once in a while (biyearly) I do lubricate.
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

Hoss

Alright, bear with me here.

Number one issue is having solid, CLEAN trackwork. If you run your finger on the rails and get alot of black gunk on your finger, time to clean the trackwork. Track rubbers work good, I'll admit, but for heavy duty cleaning, or annual/ out of storage cleaning, use a track cleaning fluid or 70% rubbing alcohol. I cannot emphasis this enough, Keep the track cleaning solvent away from carpet/anything with paint/or certain plastics. Another thing is use clean pieces of an old t-shirt or heavy duty shop towels. The cheap stuff will work, but you have major headaches getting paper towel shreds out of switches.

Number two is clean wheels. An easy way to clean them is use a piece of paper towel/ old t-shirt (CLEAN I cannot emphasis enough) moistened with 70 rubbing alcohol and run your locomotives with the wheels spinning on the paper towel.

I found that a good rule of thumb is if your track moves when you push down, fix it.

Hope this stuff helps.

fighter4luv

Quote from: Hoss on January 19, 2011, 10:22:36 PMNumber two is clean wheels. An easy way to clean them is use a piece of paper towel/ old t-shirt (CLEAN I cannot emphasis enough) moistened with 70 rubbing alcohol and run your locomotives with the wheels spinning on the paper towel.
But the main wheels dont spin unless its got electricity running through it :P

A bit confused about paper towel and old t-shirts, since both those things can be made out of lots of different types of materials... some of which that leave lots of lint behind... I think I saw some fluff or hair caught in Percy's wheels, so I might try to clean that out and definitely try the track rubber thing and lube on the wheels. Off to the hobby shop! :P

Thanks everyone!

SodorAdventures

Quote from: fighter4luv on January 20, 2011, 07:14:59 AM
Quote from: Hoss on January 19, 2011, 10:22:36 PMNumber two is clean wheels. An easy way to clean them is use a piece of paper towel/ old t-shirt (CLEAN I cannot emphasis enough) moistened with 70 rubbing alcohol and run your locomotives with the wheels spinning on the paper towel.

A bit confused about paper towel and old t-shirts, since both those things can be made out of lots of different types of materials... some of which that leave lots of lint behind... I think I saw some fluff or hair caught in Percy's wheels, so I might try to clean that out and definitely try the track rubber thing and lube on the wheels. Off to the hobby shop! :P

Thanks everyone!

So, were bringing it back to my point!

fighter4luv

I've discovered, after reading up a lot of stuff... that the crud on my steel track is the oxidisation :( I managed to find some Aero cleaning fluid on ebay, but does anyone know the best way to apply it to the track? Should I just do the old rag trick... I don't have a cleaning car, so I guess I'll have to do everything manual... may take a while... I'll make sure windows and doors are open :P

SodorAdventures

Quote from: fighter4luv on February 05, 2011, 11:08:14 AM
I've discovered, after reading up a lot of stuff... that the crud on my steel track is the oxidisation :( I managed to find some Aero cleaning fluid on ebay, but does anyone know the best way to apply it to the track? Should I just do the old rag trick... I don't have a cleaning car, so I guess I'll have to do everything manual... may take a while... I'll make sure windows and doors are open :P

YES! I was right!! :P Anyways, yeah, it had to do with cleaning it.

fighter4luv

Quote from: SodorAdventures on February 05, 2011, 11:36:14 AM
Quote from: fighter4luv on February 05, 2011, 11:08:14 AM

YES! I was right!! :P Anyways, yeah, it had to do with cleaning it.
Yeah, I don't think the track rubber will do the job, but it can't hurt to get one of them as well I guess... but my engine's wheels still seem to have a lot of fluff, so maybe I'll look into a soft brush to attempt to clean them also.

Hoss

Quote from: fighter4luv on January 20, 2011, 07:14:59 AM

Thanks everyone!

I recommend the good paper towels you get at a groccery store or from my favorite store, Lowes. The blue bounty heavy duty shop towels are my favorites. Stay away from the 99 cent rolls. They have no use on the layout except for scenery. For old T-shirts, the old white cotton ones (Hanes, fruit of the loom ect...) are the best.

Oh yeah, for the concern about getting your wheels spinning on the towel, don't have all drive wheels on the paper towel / t-shirt piece. Just hold the engine by the footplate or sides of the shell. For getting the fibers out of Percy's wheels, get a good pair of tweezers. I recommend the Kobalt ones in a hobby knife kit from Lowes.

Yeah, I don't think the track rubber will do the job, but it can't hurt to get one of them as well I guess... but my engine's wheels still seem to have a lot of fluff, so maybe I'll look into a soft brush to attempt to clean them also.
If it's the fumes your worried about, try the rubbing alcohol. Just put some on a clean paper towel and rub it on the tracks. It will evaporate and dry on its own. I've used it on projects like this with great success.

fighter4luv

Quote from: Hoss on February 05, 2011, 09:36:08 PM
If it's the fumes your worried about, try the rubbing alcohol. Just put some on a clean paper towel and rub it on the tracks. It will evaporate and dry on its own. I've used it on projects like this with great success.
I've heard that rubbing alcohol isn't very good for the steel track... :/ I'll just use the cleaning fluid when it arrives :)

jward

it isn't so much that rubbing alcohol isn't good for steel track. in fact, i've never heard that one before. the inherent problem is that the steel track isn't as easy to keep clean as nickle silver, among other problems. it would be better to replace the steel track with nickle silver, and if you still want to use the steel, use it on sidings where your locomotives most likely won't be going.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

shining time

long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

Hoss

Your using plain steel track. You may want to replace it with nickel silver. Atlas and Peco are good brands, but Peco is extremely expensive.