News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The mighty Narrow East

Started by Dusten Barefoot, June 16, 2007, 11:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusten Barefoot

Who here wants to talk about theEastren Narrow Guage Railroads. I would like to talk about the east rather than the west is because of my opinon on the western narrow gauge; it's toooo popular!
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

ebtbob

Dusten,

Maybe the fact that the Colorado narrow gauge systems are sooooo more well known leads to the impression of being more popular.   The plain fact is that in the east all you have is the East Broad Top,  the Tweetsie,  and the Maine two foot systems here in the East.   Now I realize that there are other VERY small ng roads such as the loop at Allaire State Park in New Jersey,  but I refer to the "big boys" of the narrow gauge world.
       The basic problem for the eastern roads is - in my opinion - two fold.  First is the lack of public awareness.   I never even heard of the EBT until 1985 and the Tweetsie even later.   The second thing is the fact that any ride in Colorado is bound to be more spectacular than anything we have here in the East.   Even if the EBT could open to its full length,  and wouldn't I LOVE to see that,  the scenic views could not compare.
       All that being said,  no railroad can take the number one spot in my heart and replace the EBT.   The EBT is surrounded by several big urban areas that are within a four to six hour drive.  If you live in that area,  and can afford the time and gas.....the EBT is well worth the visit.  Be advised,  the railroad only operates on Saturday and Sundays,  three trips a day.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

Sorry,  meant to post this pic with my above post.   

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

RAM

It is too bad that the
EBT does't get the support that it really needs.

pdlethbridge

It might get more support if it could get speeder rides into mt union from orbisonia. They have extended track south of orbisonia but not north to mt union. To me that's strange and a real waste of time and effort. Considering that speeders can run on just about anything makes the trip to my union more interesting.

Dusten Barefoot

I bet if the Doe River Gorge can get a good steam locomotive running on it, it would become just a bit more known. I have not herd a lot of about the EBT or others, I am more well known with Tweetsie and all the ones below the mason dixie line. I have seen the EBT wesite but would like to know some more about it. I would like to hear and share info on narrow gauge railroads all over the east. Please share some knowlage.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

One thing you have to understand about the EBT.   While it is within 4 hours or so of several major metropolitan areas it is in the middle of basically nowhere,  in one of the most depressed portions of the state of Pennsylvania.  While the Colorado railroads are also in the middle of no where,  so to speak,  they at least have things for the tourists to do while the EBT does not.
        If you were able to do a poll of the people with the most passion for the EBT,  I think you would find that most are railfans not tourists.   Remember,   a study done a few years back said that a good tourist railroad is a ride that is less than an hour total as tourists are not looking for the same things that the railfans are.    The EBT gives you that type ride and the one thing I consider as a plus is the fact that the engine can be turned at both ends so that it never runs tender first,  thus,  a slower ride in one direction.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

SteamGene

I have never ridden a western narrow gauge, but I have been in Colorado and through scenery such as the western narrow gauge traverses.  I have to disagree with Bob.  The EBT scenery is spectacular, but it's different. 
He's right that there is the EBT and the trolley line in Orbisonnia, and nothing else.  There's not even a McDonald's, IIRC.  He's also right that tourists like short bites.  I'd love to see the EBT able to offer the ride it does for the tourist and a longer ride for the fan.  Question is, where else can the engine be turned other than where it is today?  Would it be necessary to open track all the way to Mt. Union to the norh or Robertsdale to the south?  I imagine the scenery would be greater to th south, but what restoration is needed for the bridges and tunnels?  And then there's the fact that the track runs through somebody's backyard! 
I understand there is now a bed and breakfast in Orbisonnia, but other than that, the closest motel is 20+ miles away. 
BTW, there was a logging narrow gauge in Southside Virginia, bringing logs to the James River south of Jamestown. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Ned

Dusten:

There has been some discussion of this topic on the On30 portion of this site - although the latest post was on June 3rd.

You might want to check that and perhaps add your thoughts there.

Regards

Ned

ebtnut

Ned:  Actually, I think Dusten started that thread on the On30 board, and it kind of died.  I think Bob Rule's comments are pretty much on the mark.  I'll add some of my own thoughts.  I think part of the allure of the western narrow gauges is that they are wrapped up in the whole ethos of opening the wild west.  Iron ponies and wooden cars struggling against high mountain passes, blizzards, Indian attacks, the whole chase for precious metals, etc.  They also had the benefit of surviving long enough to draw fans with cameras and notebooks to help spread the word.  The Rio Grande didn't quit runnnig freight service until 1968.  The SP's Oweyno branch lasted until 1961. 

By contrast, outside of the EBT and Tweetsie, nothing of consequence in narrow gauge hung on past the 1930's in the east.  The EBT, with it's modern locomotives and mostly all-steel car fleet, could easily have been mistaken for just another coal-hauling short line.  Tweetsie probably had more "charm", but the narrow gauge was gone by the end of the 1940's.  The Sandy River quit in the mid-1930's.  Same with the Waynesburg and Washington.

thirdrail

The three foot gauge sugar cane harvesting railway of Godchaux Sugar hung on in Reserve, LA, in to the late 1950's. Here's its No. 7 in December, 1958:

How could one not fall in love with a "teapot" like No. 7?  8) ;D

SteamGene

I donno!  ;D  I like my locomotives a bit more boilerom!
Gene
(spelling "errors" intentional)
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

hminky

There was lots of east coast narrow gauge during the boom years of narrow gauge 1871-1883. Any successful east coast narrow gauge common carrier in a populated area was gone by the 1890's. The successful routes were all standard gauged once narrow gauge was realized a bad option.

Harold

pdlethbridge

I have toured and ridden the EBT several times and the best place to find a motel is in Altoona, some 50 miles away. Speeder rides to the picnic grounds and back would be okay, but how about speeder rides south from Mt Union on the existing track and then expand from there. That would add interest and potential income. At least Mt Union has a McDonalds. ;D

Dusten Barefoot

That engine is a beauty, and yes I did start eastern narrow gauge time in On30, but it kinda got derailed. I am looking for comments on both G-scale and other narrow gauge scales. Please inform me on eastern narrow gauge lines, I really would like to about the Hawiian lines to and also the alaska ones as well.

Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten Barefoor
www.tweetsierailroad.com
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten