News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The mighty Narrow East

Started by Dusten Barefoot, June 16, 2007, 11:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VirginiaCentral

Quote from: SteamGene on June 20, 2007, 03:45:54 PM
Add Smithfield, Sussex and Southampton in southside Virginia.
Gene

NO!!!   Not Smithfield!!! >:(
Gene, it was the Surry, Sussex, and Southampton; named for the counties it ran through.

Jerry
Jerry Kay
Big Sandy & Cumberland Garden Railroad
Virginia Central & New River Railway & Navigation Co.
"I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!"

scottychaos

Complete list of New England two-foot railroads.
(railroads that actually operated..there were a few more "paper roads")
all in Maine except the B&B and Edaville.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Billerica & Bedford Railroad
Sandy River Railroad
Phillips & Rangeley
Franklin & Megantic
Kingfield and Dead River
Madrid Railroad
Eustis Railroad
Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes
Kennebec Central
Monson
Wiscasset & Quebec
Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington
Bridgton & Saco River
Bridgton & Harrison
Edaville
----------------------------------------------------------

Sandy River Railroad
Phillips & Rangeley
Franklin & Megantic
Kingfield and Dead River Railroad
Madrid Railroad
Eustis Railroad
- all became parts of the SR&RL system.

W&Q became WW&F

B&SR became B&H.

so after all the mergers and re-naming was done,
we were left with the Five "final" seperate Maine 2-foot railroads:

Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes
Monson
Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington
Bridgton & Harrison
Kennebec Central

the B&B started it all.
Edaville saved what we have today. (all except for #9 of course)

Scot

SteamGene

Jerry,
You're right.  I didn't go back and check.  At least I didn't use Scotland Neck, though I understand that is close to the James River terminus. 
Does any of the RoW still exist in a visible form?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

terry2foot

Scot,

there is no e in Bridgton

Terry2foot

scottychaos

thanks Terry!
noted and corrected.

Scot

ebtnut

Well, as I said, I was working off the top of my head.  I should have remembered the SS&S, since one of their lokies is preserved at Allaire, NJ.  Note also the the Southern Railway had a narrow gauge subsidiary in the same region as the SS&S.  FWIW, my model (On3) Cumberland and Susquehanna RR connects the WM Lurgan line with the EBT at Neelyton, essentially following the proposed route of the Peach Bottom Western Division. 

r.cprmier

so even though the B&B wasnt in Maine, it was certaintly the ancestor to all the other Maine 2-foot railroads.

Scot:  Not to worry, I am just busting your chops.

Nope:  Sad news.  The Festiniog railway in Wales, is the grandaddy of all two-foot roads.

Actually,  I was just spoofing you.  The B&B appeared in the ICC reports way back then.  It was a common carrier; though I opine that most of it's freight was balderdash and surrepticious meanderings.  The B&B was sold to a Mr. brown, of Maine...  And was sold back when Mansfield started his goings-on in Maine.  Moody's book-first printing, is pretty interesting reading, if you can ever get your hands on one.  Great for a winter's eve,  snug and toasty warm by a fire (in the fireplace) in your home.  His recollections are so vivid and coupled with his colourful dialogue, you can almost smell the combination of coal smoke (yep, the SR did indeed burn coal-sometimes-and the scent of steam and oil at places like Kingfield and Strong; as well as almost hear the oversized whistle of these lilliputian midgets hollering for the balls (signal) as they readied their sortie; your mind setting a stage for long past replays of crack passenger trains like the Rangeley Express making thier way through the snow and ice, while their charges sat warm and safe(?) esconced in thier seats.  Some (I believe all) of the Sandy River's passenger cars sported steam heat!!

Rich

Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

VirginiaCentral

Quote from: SteamGene on June 21, 2007, 11:11:51 AM
Does any of the RoW still exist in a visible form?
Gene

Gene, there's not much left of the original SS&S RoW.  I have not been able to pinpoint any of it.  According to Crittenden's book, "The Comp'ny", there are some Virginia secondary roads that were built on the Row, but I have not made any effort to follow them.

Jerry
Jerry Kay
Big Sandy & Cumberland Garden Railroad
Virginia Central & New River Railway & Navigation Co.
"I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!"

Royce Wilson

:-* Dusten it would be simpler if you requested a Hog Warts Express in On30...Royce

Dusten Barefoot

What? Hog Warts? I have been tring to get a good Tweetsie Ten-Wheeler! Was the hog warts even narrow gauge? ??? :P. I think the hog warts will be good for the HO market.
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Atlantic Central

A few other lines,

some mentioned above, some not, all forerunners of the Maryland & Pennsylvana:

Maryland Central and the York & Peach Bottom - merged in 1891 to form the Baltimore & Lehigh - converted from 3' to standard guage in 1900.

The York Southern converted from 3' to standard guage in 1895, the two lines joined at Delta Pa after the B&L conversion and formed the Ma & Pa in 1901.

Sheldon

jayl1

There are many road crossings that are paved over as well as many trees along the right-of way between the picnic grove & Mt. Union.  If I recall the other direction out of Orbisonia is only used to get coal at the coaling dock & not much further.  Having ridden it several times  (and attended a few Fall Spectulars) it is a nice ride as well as a nice photo chase.

ebtnut

Re:  EBT - At present, the steam trains only go north from Orbisonia/Rockhill to the picnic facility at Colgate Grove.  Over the past couple of years volunteers have cleared away the trees and installed rail braces (and a couple of new ties) on the track south of the coal dock.  This is speeder territory only, but the ride now extends almost half a mile to just short of the first public highway crossing.  Several of the old speeders, and the M-3 railtruck, have been refurbished, so there is a variety available to ride. 

Spule 4

There was a LOT of NG in the east at one time.  Not many know but many of the lines in Ohio were 3' when built and re-gauged later in life.  For example, the line past the former family farm that is now Ohio Central was 3' at one time in the 1800s, ditto on a lot of others.  Even here in the South, there were parts of the NC&StL that were 3'....

The OR&W and the other PRR line, W&W, both scream to be modeled, a few do, but not to the volume that one would think.  Why? The problem is, after the depression/WWII what was extant (visited, published and photographed).....Colorado and the EBT to a lesser amount.

Garrett

Dusten Barefoot

The great Southern Railroad started from the simple little ET&WNC narrow gauge line. Who would have thought ::).
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten