News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoder/tender swap observations...

Started by bigblock454, January 20, 2011, 12:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigblock454

Greetings,

Brand new to On30, DCC and sound (been an exciting week)!! I purchased a DCC 4-6-0 with tsunami sound and love it!! I do think the sound system can be a lot better though. I can't believe that tiny speaker in that HUUGE tender!! Also bought a "non-sound" 4-4-0. She didn't run as well out of the box, with slow speeds a little jerky and needing "notch 6" of 28 to get moving reliably. She's a little noisy too (gear mesh maybe). The 4-6-0 ran great with "notch 1" of 128 getting her moving easily and sloooowly. Anyway, on a whim, I decided to just switch tenders just for experimenting. Wow!! The 4-4-0 runs perfectly at slow speeds, just as the 4-6-0 did... and the 4-6-0... not so good. So I learned, as many here probably already know, that the decoder makes a big difference!! So I'm taking tsunami out of 4-6-0 and transplanting into 4-4-0, while I get a new Tsunami tsu-1000 from soundtraxx for the 10 wheeler. Also ordered upgraded "extended bass" (and bigger) speakers for both. I'll update with progress, and if I can be of help to anyone... just ask!!

Norm II