Anybody done a cam (wiper) installation for exhaust chuff??

Started by bigblock454, January 20, 2011, 12:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigblock454

Greetings,

Ordered a couple of soundtraxx's cam/wiper kits for my 4-4-0 and 4-6-0. Doesn't seem too hard (logically), although perhaps physically challenging given the small driver diams. Hope to do this without removing the drivers also. Any tips, hints or concerns... please help me out. The "auto exaust" isn't cutting it for my favorite fellow railroader (Dad). We used to play with early sound using "PFM" back in the day... anybody remember them??  :o Anyway, I'll post my results when finished.

Norm II

ebtbob

Norm,

Not knowing where you are,  I suggest you call Lin's Junction in Lansdale, Pa at 215-412-7711,  on a Friday and ask to speak to Karl.   He does sound installation,  I remember a while back that he did not like the idea of use cam wipers anymore.  Karl only works on Fridays and is in the store between 10am and 5pm  eastern time.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

bigblock454

Thank you. I'm in Maryland (Glen Burnie), and have a couple approaches that I'm weighing at this time. Will post my results, thanks again.

bigblock454

Thanks Bob... I'd like to talk to him (and others). Got an idea I'd like to share. Thinking of painting rear of one of the drivers with non-conductive paint and leaving 4 "chuff-areas" bare. They make a "paint" just for that, and my Father tells me that "I have some" in the box that my PFM system came in... Hmmm. Sounds like that could be done without even removing drivers, although that doesn't look too hard to do. Thoughts anyone??

Norm

NarrowMinded

Using the paint you would have to have a wiper that put nearly 0 pressure on the driver/paint and I still don't think it would last more then a few rotations, I also think as the paint rubbed off the driver it would foul the wiper and stop working as well.

NM

bigblock454

Thanks for the feedback NM. I'll let you guys know how it turns out, as that's what I'm gonna try. It's a "paint" made just for this application. I was thinking of doing something similar with epoxy, after giving the back of the driver some "tooth", but I'll give it a go with the other stuff first. The wiper I'm building will have the minimal pressure you speak of (using a kadee coupler spring). Could be interesting!! Thanks again.

Norm

Using the paint you would have to have a wiper that put nearly 0 pressure on the driver/paint and I still don't think it would last more then a few rotations, I also think as the paint rubbed off the driver it would foul the wiper and stop working as well.

NM

NarrowMinded

Can you give us the name of the product, I'd like to look into it if it is made for this.

NM

bigblock454

Certainly! I'll have a look at it tomorrow, to see if it has any "brand name" on it. It came with my PFM sound system that I still have NIB. I'm hoping what's there is still usable! Cheers!

Norm

bigblock454

Well, as I start taking the little 4-4-0 apart, I see I'm pretty much stuck with "plan A" (using the soundtraxx cam). I was hoping to just use the inside "rim" part of the driver to get my chuff off of. I can see now that's where the little wipers are already for the loco's power pick-up. I was trying to avoid putting the soundtraxx "cam" in the spoked area (to maintain the "see-through" look), but the drivers are so small, that perhaps painted flat black, it won't be so noticable. I think the loco needs all the track "pick-up" it can get, so I'lll avoid the temptation to just isolate the driver. Oh well... it was a novel idea. Cheers!

Norm