News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO FT-A w/ DCC onboard

Started by BoevilleandNewtown, January 16, 2011, 09:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoevilleandNewtown

All,

Looking for some help here as it would seem I've missed something. I was told that the FT-A w/ DCC on-board was backwards compatible w/ a DC layout. The issue I have is the locomotive seems to "stutter" on my DC layout. I have no plans in the near future of doing DCC. I like the locomotive (its painted for the Seaboard) and the price was right.

Any help and insight is GREATLY appreciated!!!

ACY

Your loco is better suited for DCC, and will run better on DCC than DC because it has a decoder. The loco has a dual mode decoder, it allows for DC running, but it requires more power to get going than a DC loco due to the extra draw from the decoder.

richd286

Check with the Bachmann.  I have a number of Bachmann deisel locos and they run well in either mode. 

BoevilleandNewtown

It now appears the locomotive has stopped running period.

No odd smells, but it won't run.

ACY

You may have burned out the motor or otherwise damaged it, but it is not necessarily your fault. Or a wire may be loose, so check all the connections.

BoevilleandNewtown

OK.

Found the grey wire going to the motor was loose at the board. While it was loose, I tested the motor. It ran. Re-soldered the grey wire to the board. Motor stopped running.

I believe the issue might be the board itself.

Since I'm not DCC, would there be harm in wiring the motor to the wheels bypassing the board?

bobwrgt

There should be no problem if you wire the motor direct to the truck pick-up.

Bob

BoevilleandNewtown

I found the issue. It appears as though one of the front trucks gear shaft either shifted or is a bit long and caused a short on the pickups.

It does appear that the board my be toast. I bypassed it and the loco runs like a champ!!!