Wish List New Roadnames for GP9's

Started by raider409, December 24, 2010, 05:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raider409

Kind of hoped 3rd rail would have replied to the sugestions.  At least make a undecorated version of each of their product to help modelers that choose their own roads.

the Bach-man

Dear Raider,
Third Rail is out of the country; I'm sure he'll consider your suggestions upon his return.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Joe Satnik

Hearsay and misinformation deleted.  Sorry 'bout that. 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

DominicMazoch

The PRR would buy 60 Hz stuff, and have a power station where there would be a huge motor which would spin a 25hz alternator. 

Now the new stuff can change Hz on the fly with the electronic onboard.

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

phillyreading

I knew the Reading(pronounced Redding) Railroad used electric MU passenger cars, but I never knew that they used 25 hertz equipment. Through parts of north Reading to Leesport PA, the Reading used a third rail for electric power, low bridges prevented overhead wires from being used.
Thanks Joe S. for the info.

What I was referring to about the GG-1's is that it would be too cost prohibitve to update the GG-1's. First you would have to replace the old style transformers and old motors in the GG-1's, then you would have to repair the frames of the GG-1's. Most likely you would have to replace the old air pumps(for air brakes), and install new couplers (that is why the Blue Mountain & Reading RR gave up passenger car service, in Berks County PA) on the engines, both front & rear.

Lee F.

r0gruth

The GG1s were also used by Penn Central.

IMHO the idea of locos available without road names is interesting especially for Diesels of all types.They could be offered painted in the many colors available or without any specific color.This might lead to a  good market for decals.

Roger

phillyreading

The GG-1's were being used because they were still in the fleet of the predecessor, the Pennsy RR. In other words cost efficientcy.
To change over from the GG-1's would be very costly, as the generators would have to be changed out to 60 hertz, and the sub-stations, transformers and wiring for the electrical supply would have to be changed over. :o The overhead wires might even need to be changed out as well to handle the higher frequency.

Lee F.