Are the Thomas HO products compatible with the digital controllers?

Started by misshatt, January 15, 2011, 07:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

misshatt

It has been a long time since I have had model trains (longer than I care to admit!)--a love my father inspired when I was a child, but my father just discovered his most valuable trains went missing from his collection most likely by way of a family member and he is no longer interested in his trains, and cannot (will not...) answer my questions... I need some help please! 

Now that my son is of an age to be inspired, and since he is an absolute Thomas nut (even more than myself!)... I have started our own HO scale collection and we now have the HO scale Thomas and coach set, Emily and her coaches set, and the James set, and are working to collect more, but are tired of the mass of wiring for the multiple controllers.   Can I use a digital controller with the HO Thomas trains?

thomasj219

If the Digital is DCC then no, Thomas trains are not DCC, I use four transformers for the four lines only big layout so if you do it in a way where there isn't much clutter like having them under the layout it will be fine.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

RGC

You will have to install a decoder chip in each engine to run them on DCC. Most of them are an pretty easy job or there are a few web sites that will do it for you.

Anthony P2

if you're good at soldering then you could put DCC decoders (I recommend Digitrax  ;)) in the thomas engines. it's really easy. red to red, black to black, orange to orange, then there's brown to grey. you could then start with a basic DCC system for now, like Bachmann E-Z Command. Oh, and back to you using 4 controllers, is that on one line? if it is DO NOT DO THAT you can damage your trains that way.

Glennock

A local hobby shop would be your best bet if you want them all digital.

~G

RGC

Quote from: Anthony P2 on January 15, 2011, 10:00:50 AM
if you're good at soldering then you could put DCC decoders (I recommend Digitrax  ;)) in the thomas engines. it's really easy. red to red, black to black, orange to orange, then there's brown to grey. you could then start with a basic DCC system for now, like Bachmann E-Z Command. Oh, and back to you using 4 controllers, is that on one line? if it is DO NOT DO THAT you can damage your trains that way.

Not all the "Thomas" Trains are red to red , Black to Black, Orange to Orange and brown to grey. I've found so far Percy, Toby and Mavis did NOT follow this wiring at all so be very careful if you decide to install your own decoders. The Henry I have has nothing but red and black wires in it.The Digitrax ones are a great choice as there DH123D decoder fit inside pretty well.