?About the message-bar at the top?

Started by railsider, January 20, 2011, 12:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsider

(I can't find a place to discuss communications protocol, so I'll just blurt it out)

I just rejoined not too long ago, and I get into the Board only now and then, but it's as exciting and interesting as ever. Thanks, I am sure, to the tone set by The Bach Man. But the second time I started to log in, I looked up at the bar full of places to click, and I could NOT find anything that said "log in" ... I was stuck!

Finally, in desperation, I clicked on "log out" and figured I'd have to give up.

And, wow, whaddaya know! "log out" means "go find log in" !!! After a minute or so of getting my feet back on the ground, I clicked the new "log in" that appeared after I had clicked "log out" and there I was ... ready to wreak havoc upon The Bach-Man's Board once again!

However, it occurs to me, Johann Sebastian, that this could confuse other people who are as naive and dumb as I am, but possibly not so lucky. So, may I Ask the Bach Man  if you would consider doing something to clarify that, like maybe adding a "log in" button at the top of the first screen?

Now that I know the secret code, I'm okay. But the next guy may benefit, that's all I'm sayin' .....

Thanks, Mr. Johann Sebastian Bach -Man, and keep up the good work!

JerryB

I assume you realize that the reason you didn't see a "log in' choice was that you were already logged in. You don't need to log in / log out at each session. The website server (through the use of cookies) remembers you (actually your computer) for each new session on the same computer.

Most websites now work like this. There is no need for a 'log in' message bar or button that wouldn't do anything because you are already logged in. That really would be confusing!

Also, there is nothing accomplished by an individual user logging out. Just more overhead.

Happy Digitally Enabled RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

richg

I all comes under the heading of how to use the websites.
I belong to about twenty different forums. And they are all different to some degree.
I log in and then log out after every session. I also clear all cookies, personal data when I close the browser and I close and reopen the browser, maybe a dozen times a day.
Many sites track where you go to and how many times a day you go to these site. I try to keep my path to a minimum.
This prevents me from developing bad habits and getting lazy.

Rich

poliss

Ah, but do you delete your Java cookies too?

bmjcook

Quote from: poliss on January 20, 2011, 08:55:04 PM
Gidday
                         No, but I "ete" my Chocolate cookies ;D ;D ;D
                                                                                              Cookie     

poliss

Terry Toenges

How many of those old enough to remember "77" still need a comb? ;D
Feel like a Mogul.

bmjcook

Quote from: Terry Toenges on January 22, 2011, 01:22:43 PM
How many of those old enough to remember "77" still need a comb? ;D

Gidday
            Me, but then I'm only 63 years young ::) ::)
                                                                                         Cookie

richg

Quote from: poliss on January 20, 2011, 08:55:04 PM

Yes I do. I use a Linux Operating System in all my PC's and it is easy to delete the java cookies. I also delete the cookies in the Macromedia folder.

No problem with needing  a comb. I shave my head every day.

At 70 years old, most of my hair grows inward and comes out my nose and ears. I have a special trimmer for that also.
Most here will grow into that area in the future. Enjoy.  ;)
Oh, don't forget about the continuous thick eybrows that will develop.  ;)

Rich