News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

** POWER and POWER !!

Started by Rio, June 20, 2007, 05:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rio

Hello, this is Rio.

Please support me at once!   2 days before, I had changed all of my systems from Marklin AC to Bachmann DC.  I connected as Power to Booster to E-Z Command control center, and it moved in yesterday but they don't move this day.  I could control even functional light in yesterday, but they doesn't run today.  Their motor makes some little noise, I think, the power will be not enough to move, even it connected Booster sure.  And, I try to connect from the power to E-Z Command control directly, but it was not available.

Please teach me how I do to settle this problem down?
I will wait with your answers and infos exactly.       :D
    20th June   Sincerely  ;  Rio

Jim Banner

If I understand correctly, you converted from Marklin Trinary ac Digital control to Bachmann Digitial Command Control (DCC.)  Did you change the decoders to ones that can run off DCC and supply ac to the motors in your locomotives?  Or can the existing decoders run off DCC as well as Trinary ac Digital?
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

UP5511

it is simple AC and DC are different

Virginian

Not that simple.  AC, DC, and DCC are all different.
"What could have happened... did."

UP5511

whatever ac and dc are different a dcc is a whole new ball game

SteamGene

Keep the explaination simple.  I'm rather positive that Rio is not a native English speaker so avoid slang and big words. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

lanny

Hope this helps, Rio.

AC = 'Alternating current'. Never used to power HO motive power. Will ruin HO engines if you run them trying to use 'AC' power.

DC = 'Direct Current'. Always used for supplying power to tracks in HO guage (as well as some other guages such as 'N' guage)

DCC = 'Digital Command Control'. The newest way to 'operate' trains' in HO and other scales. Needs special power and control equipment to run DCC locomotives. DCC locomotives must have a 'decoder' card properly installed before they will operate using a 'DCC' system.

DC/Analog = Old style method of operating HO trains (other scales as well). This system needs a 'DC' power supply. Locomotives running with DC/Analog power do not need 'decoder' cards to operate. The are ready to use without any alteration on a properly wired layout.

MRC = A company that is well known and trusted for producing DC/Analog power supply controllers. They also produce DCC power and controllers, as does Bachmann and many other.

I am not a DCC 'expert'. I know very little about how DCC works. But there are many really great DCC experts on this forum.

If you are totally new to model railroading, from my view point, Rio, I would recommend that you use 'DC/Analog' power on your first layout. However, there are many here who would disagree with me on this.

Please listen carefully to ALL the advice you are given. You will get good advice whether it is for DC operations or DCC operations.

Remember, Rio!!!! AC power is 'NO' for trying to operate HO guage equipment.

best wishes,

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

SteamGene

Lanny,
There is a line of European HO that uses AC.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

lanny

Ooooops!

Thanks Gene. I didn't know that. I have lived a very shelted "HO" life  :D

So if Rio is using that line of HO equipment, then an AC transformer will work fine? Thanks for 'cluing me in' Gene.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Jim Banner

In his posting, Rio told us that he was using Marklin ac.  Yes, certain Marklin locomotives run on ac.  Some of those use a form of DCC known as Trinary ac Digital.  It is different than NMRA DCC and in fact predates it.  I am not sure if he is using staight ac or Trinary.  And I am not sure exactly what he is doing with the Bachmann dc and "booster."  I suspect he is either trying to run ac trains on dc or Trinary trains on NMRA style DCC.  I suspect the "system" he has changed  is his power control, not his locomotives.

I agree that Rio's English is troublesome, but it is still much, much better than my Japanese.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Paul M.

Okay Rio,

Are your locomotives for Bachmann DCC the same ones that you used for Markin AC power?

If they are, you'll have to either somehow alter them for DC/ DCC power , or buy new locomotives to run on DCC.

If I'm right, I think the Marklin cars have different couplers than the Kadee couplers used with most American freight cars. If you want to run both American-style cars and Marklin cars together, you'll have to change the couplers of one type of rolling stock.

If I were you, I'd change the American rolling stocks' couplers to the Marklin style couplers because it sounds like you have more Marklin rolling stock than American stuff, if you have any American cars at all.

Hope this helps.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

SteamGene

Now to wait for Rio to respond.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat