News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Why was my Coupler question deleted?

Started by Trains Again, June 17, 2007, 03:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Sheldon,
"Elitism" in the sense you mentioned.  Most people run trains of such a length that 10-20 cars is a long train.  I throughly agree that if you go beyond the 20 car length, you'd best swtich to Kadee, at least for the first 90% of the train.   But that's the unusual.  To suggest that the normal runner of model trains automatically put in Kadee is the elitism part.
Several years ago in the Gafton club, several members who habitually ran long trains wamted to make a change in the Standards bylaws to requie nothing but Kadee knuckle couplers.  The bylaws were changed when the clones came out. It got defeated because members like myself pointed out that those who needed to run only Kadee should know that and not force Kadees on members who did not need them. 
If I have cars which come with Easy-mate and they need conversion - I convert them.  The combination of my George Washington has Kadees because the Easy-mate couldn't handle the weight of th complete train.  But the Pullmans, for instance, have Easy-mate because they are on the end of th train and aren't subjected to as much force.
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

Gene,

Agreed! As I said in my "essay", the generics do work for their intended purpose.

And that is why I don't belong to any formal clubs. In the words of WC Fields "I would not belong to any club that would have me as a member".

For me personally, it is about performance and appearance. Car spacing is a major detail point for me. All the generics fail this test as well.

Another factor, again, for me, is mixing the two types, I have seen that cause trouble as well, dispite claims of "interchangeablity". I don't use any of the new "scale" couplers for this reason as well - not to mention their less than adiquite gathering range on NMRA standard track.

So thank you for for promoting me to the "elite". Or maybe it is just the neurotic perfectionism my father gave me.......

But what do I know, I'm just a hick with........

Sheldon

Woody Elmore

Sheldon - as usual you are right on the mark. Simply put, Kadee couplers are the Cadillac (or Lexus or Mercedes) of couplers. The others are copies done after the Kadee patent expired and they do an adequate job.

Kadees, properly applied to rolling stock, will last for many years with just a little maintainence from time to time. As with anything else you get what you pay for.

Hunt

Quote from: SteamGene on June 18, 2007, 10:32:04 AM
If I have cars which come with Easy-mate and they need conversion ...
If your cars come with Bachmann's HO knuckle couplers then they are E-Z Mate.  ;)

For those not knowing,
E-Z Mate magnetic knuckle couplers uses space-age material (type of plastic) for the knuckle spring.
E-Z Mate Mark II magnetic knuckle couplers have a metal coil spring.

Kadee makes the magnetic knuckle coupler of choice for many modelers.

Bojangle

Trains Again:

I have EZ Mate Mark II couplers on all my cars,  including Bachmann, Atlas and Athearn.  For me, they have performed quite well.   I will continue to enjoy my railroad even though my couplers don't come up to your "hard core" standards.

If you like Kadee, that's wonderful.  Change anything you want.   

The purpose of this forum is to exchange ideas and suggestions, to find answers to problems, and provide a means of mature fellowship in a wonderful hobby. Bachmann has provided us this tool at considerable expense.  Your derogatory descriptions have no purpose here and are very inappropriate. 

Bo

Trains Again

Quote from: Bojangle on June 19, 2007, 04:38:05 AM
Trains Again:

I have EZ Mate Mark II couplers on all my cars,  including Bachmann, Atlas and Athearn.  For me, they have performed quite well.   I will continue to enjoy my railroad even though my couplers don't come up to your "hard core" standards.

If you like Kadee, that's wonderful.  Change anything you want.   

The purpose of this forum is to exchange ideas and suggestions, to find answers to problems, and provide a means of mature fellowship in a wonderful hobby. Bachmann has provided us this tool at considerable expense.  Your derogatory descriptions have no purpose here and are very inappropriate. 

Bo
You seem to have gotten the wrong impression about me Bo. I'm not sure where your coming from with all of this, but I assure you that I'm not here to start a fight. You seem to be very upset right now. I think it would be wise for you to cool down before returning to this forum.

Bojangle

Nothing upsets me.  I just said  that your comments were inappropriate.
You see, it's all about free speech.  You are free to say what you want, and I am free to disagree.  Your post has already received more replies than it deserves, so I won't respond anymore.  I expect to be on the forum nightly.
Bo

SteamGene

Trains Again,
Bo wasn't the only one to comment on your choice of vocabulary ( set your decoder ring to "S -1")  ;D.  It's possible that you really don't know the original definitions of some of your word choices, but I assure you my mother would have washed my mouth out wth soap had she heard me use them.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Trains Again

I can see you guys would rather have fun cutting me down rather than talking about the actual Train related topics.

Sorry, I'm not here for childish debates. I talk trains on here. Thats all.

Topic closed, and locked.

the Bach-man

Trains again,
Your original post was deleted because:
a) It was rude in tone.
b) It contained inappropriate language.
c) It made no sense, viz:
Why doesn't Chevy put Ford motors in the Corvette? I like Ford better...
Why doesn't ABC advertise NBC shows? I like them better...
Why don't the Yankees hand out Red Sox baseball card? I like the Sox better...
I left this thread up because many people patiently tried to explain this to you, but instead of accepting advice graciously, you remain contentious. If you continue in this spirit you will do so elsewhere.
A word to the wise...
the Bach-man