Knowing the Status of Switches (Turnouts): Follow-up To Earlier Inquiries

Started by john.001, January 23, 2011, 11:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john.001

I'm convinced (absent someone here suggesting otherwise) that the way to upgrade the three turnouts on my layout is to purchase the DCC Bachmann turnouts.  Okay, so far so good, but a problem arises (at least in my mind).  Since I'm using the Bachmann Digital Command Control, how do I know which switch is in what position, other than simply remembering?  My three switches are inside tunnels or other locations where I cannot readily see them. 

I know the larger layouts have elaborate schematics with lights and such.  But, with the DCC Digital, how do you keep on top of things?  Surely, there is a simple method that escapes me.

Tylerf

If you go with many other switches they will tell you the position. These include the tortoise machines, costly but very reliable. Those take more work to then create the pannel of dpdt switches to run it. But not really that difficult. Then theres the atlas and i believe, bachmann electric switches that come with momentary switches that slide to either direction and throw the switch. You can then label each side and thats the position of the switch. I dont really understand the idea behind dcc turnouts with the ez command, as you can move anywhere anyways, youll always be stuck beside the control station anyways why not just lay out some old style switches and run them to that same spot. Cheaper, and gives you switch position.

memethree

If you are worried about switches that you can't see DON'T WORRY THERE is a COMPUTER PROGRAM from JMRI.COM. thats gives you everthing you need for your railroad and it is SIMPLE by my standards and guss how much it COST KNOW HERE THIS 00000000000000000000000000000000
    Just download the program and your ready to go. There are 4 segments of the video to download too, and guess how much 000000000000000000000
So you can watch everything on the COMPUTER.

sKIP

LooseClu

My memory is almost as short as my faith in electrical gizzmos.  I use mechanical levers to throw switches and a glance at the lever tells me which direction the turnout is in.  The Hump Yard Purveyance levers have never failed in operation, require no electrical connections and are less expensive than the electric gadgets.  If you give some thought while setting them up you can align the levers so that all are pulled in the same direction for the main track or opposite for the siding.  It works well for me despite my unreliable memory.                        Roy