ITTY BITTY COUPLER SCREWS & dis connectable or switchable siding

Started by gandy dancer#1, January 27, 2011, 02:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gandy dancer#1

Okay: Since i dont know , where can i get those "itty bitty" Phillips screws preferably in a bulk pack to mount the couplers??  Also is there such a thing as a switch de-coupler piece ect, so if i want to park cars on a siding i can disconect themfrom the power circuit till i decide to use them????????
M.R.BURNS

ACY

If you have all magnetic couplers, then you can put an uncoupling magnet under the track to uncouple the cars. The screws can probably be bought in bulk from most hardware stores or at least online. I forget what size they are, just measure them to find the ones you need.

charlii

OldTimer

Kadee sells a number of different screws with drills and taps to match.  The 2-56 screws are commonly used to attach coupler boxes.  At least that's what I use and I'm pretty common.   ;)   The #50 drill and 2-56 tap work together to make a threaded hole for the screw.

If you want to electrically isolate a siding, cut one rail (either literally or with an insulated rail joiner and wire a single pole / single throw (SPST) switch (like a light switch) across the gap.  If the siding is double ended, gap the rail at both ends, but you still only need one SPST switch. 
When the switch is open, the siding will be dead.  Close the switch and the siding will be live.

OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

gandy dancer#1

Once again the A team to my rescue  ;) Thanks guys that was the in fo I was looking for to the letter. ;D
M.R.BURNS

Doneldon

gd1-

You'll have guaranteed sizing if you buy your small hardware
from Kadee but you'll pay an arm and a leg for the convenience.
Go to a well supplied hardware store or order online for reasonable
prices.
                                      -- D

jward

are you referring to the bachmann screws? the ones that like to get lost when you take a locomotive or car apart? these are available through parts & service.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ebtnut

I'm pretty sure that most of the Bachmann screws are metric.  You're not as likely to find very small metric screws at you local hardware store.  Better to check with Bachmann's parts service, or with a good LHS that stocks both US and metric thread screws.  FWIW, I think the Bachmann coupler screws are 2mm.

NarrowMinded

Hi Gandy,
a subject that comes up here a lot is where to get screws and such, I am a pack rat and love to tinker so I have a ton of screws in various containers, most of which were free, as many others here do, we never throw any toy, tape player, old cell phone or other gizmo or gadget away without taking it apart and salvaging all the screws washers and various usable tidbits.

It may not cure your issue now but having a good salvage box will save you tons of time and hassle in the future.

NM

gandy dancer#1

Hey:Checked with bachman parts andthey told me I cannot get the screws from them??? So am now searching internet for them. I would think since the screws are used on their products they would at least have a few they would sell to customers. Go figure!!!
M.R.BURNS