News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

big haulers train sets

Started by G scale CAVEMAN, January 27, 2011, 09:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G scale CAVEMAN

HI i am new to this message board ...but not to Bachmann.. trains ..been buying them for 40 years now.
i just recently bought 7 big haulers train sets (see list below) ... and there seems to be some parts are missing on some engines
and on others there there ...on the left side theres a large value type thing G813X0AX01 and theres a smaller tube like part that is on the middle section ..thats attached in the curved out section that faces the engines side ???
also some engines come with side rod frames with cross pieces and others don't have the cross pieces why??

WHY??
also out of all these train sets i bought only one came with a figure the tweetsie RR  that was verry disapointing
i know in the past some sets came with figures like the emmit kelly circus set ...
and whats up with the new couplers on the davenports there different ... not much staying power ...keeps uncoupling from both ends... on both davenport engines that i bought .....i will have to try the metal ones and see if there any better...

LumberJack Starter Set BACHMANN                90071
Prospector Starter Set BACHMANN                 90070 
Durango & Silverton - Freight STARTER SETS  90057
Summit Pass STARTER SETS                            90056
Bachmann Brothers Circus STARTER SETS       90049
Durango & Silverton - Passenger BACHMANN 90058
ET&WNC / Tweetsie Railroad BACHMANN        90033

Loco Bill Canelos

I didnt understand enough of what you wrote to answer all your questions, but I will try to give you some info.

Most newer starter sets do not come with a figure.  On the Big Hauler 4-6-0's the details had minor changes over the years, some also come with the Stephenson valve gear while others come with simplified Walshearts valve gear.   Some have a two window cab others have a three window cab. There were five different versions of the chassis on the 4-6-0 as well.  In reviewing your list all of yours have the version 5 chassis, but can still have different valve gear.

If you bought your sets new in the box, and the boxes were sealed, there is probably nothing missing.  if you got them used or on Ebay then all bets are off. 

There are two different couplers for the Davenport.  One is for 1:20.3 scale and the other which is offset, are 1:22.5 the standard line couplers.  These couplers are very different in height. 

To help further it would be best if you could post a picture showing the areas in question.

I hope I helped at least a little.

Enjoy your new trains!!

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

G scale CAVEMAN

HELLO BILL ..thanks for answering me... all the train sets are brand new bought them from train world
i wish that the bachmann train diagram had the parts listed with there proper names ..then i could
speak more clearly...

as for the davenports ..i replace all couplers with bachmanns standard ones and they now perform much better

the only problem i have found is in the height of the coupler on the cow catchers of the big haulers ... i am currently
modifying ...these so they can operate properly...

how do i post pictures here ???
well bye for now .......
THE G scale CAVEMAN... of the CREATURE COMFORT VALLEY RAILROAD... where we employ all manner of creatures who can run a RAILROAD... alien or otherwise.....

i am as Innocent as a new born rat in a cheese factory !!!!

Loco Bill Canelos

glad things are working out for you.  I have modified all my 4-6-0 to operating front couplers so I can double head them and also do switching with them.  I use the coupler and coupler box from the short boxcar or gondola.   I remove the cow catcher and make th opening deep enough and wide enough to allow me to screw the coupler box on the pilot and the screw the cowcatcher back on.  It worked well for me and  have more fun with my 4-6-0's now!!

Have fun

G scale CAVEMAN

....ok....NOW can anyone here me   HOW DO YOU POST PICTURES
HERE  ..... ??? ??? :o :-[  add BBC tags ???  all my computer says is
that (document forms postmodify message) no other explenation is given

HI BILL i thought about taking off the cowcatcher ...but it makes my steam locos look too naked without it .... i just put on a new cow catcher on one of my 4-6-0s  i tryed to get a new one from the parts dept ..but they don't have any of the parts i want for my engine... so i bought a bachmann K27 cow catcher and put that on my 4-6-0 instead of the original one ...it looks a lot better now... the few parts i did foolishly buy from bachmann cost me over $59 and its just not worth it ...i am just going to have to make my own parts from now on..
well bye for now,

Loco Bill Canelos

Email me and I will send pictures of how I do it, buying only a standard coupler pocket with coupler from the short boxcar, short flat or short gondola.  No need to spend big bucks, or make parts!!

Wade Colyer

Hi Bill:

Did you dig out of the snow yet? How about sending me your pictures also. 

Thanks

Wade

Loco Bill Canelos

Wade we are finally out of it!!   Took us til Friday to get to my 94 year old Dad's farm house. pretty tough terrain in the mile between him and me, and we are on a dead end.  The snow was so deep against his house door he could not get out from the inside. 

BAD NEWS!! :(

To those who emailed me for the pictures.

I may have made a promise I can't keep.  I changed computers in December and may have lost those pictures.  All I can find so far is some of the pictures that were too poor to use and they are not complete.  I will keep looking, so be patient and I will get back to you one way or the other.

my apologies, but will try get something together on it ASAP.

Bill

G scale CAVEMAN

hello bill.... and any other BACHMANNITES out there....
lets hope you can see this picture of my 2 bighaulers 4-6-0s...... the one on the right is new the one
on the left is an older one ..that i replaced the coacatcher on ..with the one from a K27 ...........
its looks better ...i think sooo.......
bye for now

G scale CAVEMAN

hello again ...heres the trains sets i bought............
bye for now G scale CAVEMAN !!!

Loco Bill Canelos

Missouri Western #16 takes a break from switching duties to await passage of the daily passenger train.   This photo shows my met5hod of adding an operating front coupler at the lowest possible cost.  All you need to buy is a body mount coupler and box from a short flat car or boxcar or gondola.   

here is a closeup of the final installation

Remove pilot and front coupler. Use styrene plastic blocks and sheets on the pilot beam  to lower it and make a platform to place the new coupler and box on the beam. Drill new hole and attach the coupler and box.  Cut the opening on the pilot using a motor tool and razor saw just enough to fit over the coupler box and screw it back on with the original screws and you are done and ready to paint the exposed plastic. 

Loco Bill Canelos

I think this might work!

In the close up you can see how I used the plastic blocks and sheets to lower the coupler.  I used epoxy glue.   It sticks out more than I like, but it works fine and allows for easy uncoupling which is important to me.   You can mount it further back with a little extra work.  It was also important to do it at low cost.