News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SD 90

Started by dconway, December 27, 2010, 04:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dconway

I just purchased a SD 90 Norfolk Southern Engine the other day.  The train runs great but the true blast II sound does not seem to be working at all.  I am using a CW-80 transformer that came with a Lionel Polar Express set.  The bell and horn buttons on the transformer operate lionel trains and cars just fine.  Is there something that I can do to further diagnose this or do I need to just send it back to the place that I purchased it?

phillyreading

Try using another transformer as the CW-80 will not always work with Williams horn units. Use an Atlas O or MTH, or older Lionel transformer with your Williams engine and see what happens.

Lee F.

dkmoss

I had the same problem with the William's Peter Witt streetcar.  As it turned out I had a troublesome CW-80 transformer.  I tried other transformers and then it worked.  I even tried another CW-80 transformer and it worked on it.  So I guess the moral of the story is to test another transformer!

DominicMazoch

W/WBB also work well on TMCC Conv. with a Cab-1/PowerHouse/PowerMaster!

phillyreading

The CW-80 by Lionel has what is called a chopped sign wave and this is what causes problems for most non-Lionel engines. Also Lionel admitted that the first run of CW-80's were wired wrong internally, which lead to many a problem, and that is probally where the term "can't work 80" came from.

I have found that the Z-1000 by MTH works well with all Williams engines, and works well at low speeds also.

Lee F.
in frozen West Palm Beach FL

OGReditor

Since I model the Alaska Railroad, I've had to wait some time for another Williams and/or Williams by Bachmann power unit in my favorite livery (already have the GP38-2).  Today I received my Alaska SD-90 and I'm pleased to report that it is all that I expected it to be.  Looks great, and it is a smooth and quiet runner.  Everything worked well, right out of the box, and that has been the case for all the Williams locomotives I have ever purchased.  A very nice locomotive in every respect, and a nice addition to my ever-growing Alaska RR roster.

DominicMazoch

The ARR and KCS 90's need unpowered dummy units.  the KCS one could be the KCSdeM!

Mike_AA9ZY

Will we ever see a review of the Alaska SD-90, Allan?