News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Civil War trains

Started by krolart, January 28, 2011, 11:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennk28

Early in this thread, someone commented on the  driveline from the tender on the 4-4-0's being quite visible.  I dealt with this many years ago on some Kemtron On3 C-16's.

What is done is to measure the overall length of the shaft.  Thenn drill a #73 hole in the couplings, then cut them off of the original shaft.  Then take a piece of .025" piano wire and press it into the holes in the couplings with a drop of ACC on it.  When painted black it will batrely be noticeable, and a fireman can further disguise it.
Glenn Joesten

4-8-4unionpacific

Im sorry i wasnt paying attention to the title when i read it

4-8-4unionpacific

Where did you purchase the kit to make the Winans Camel?I know it is completely off subject....sorr, I am just curious.

J3a-614

Reference item:

http://usmrr.blogspot.com/

This fellow is working in O scale, so some of what he has is not available in the smaller sizes, but I have to say the work looks first rate. 

It's interesting to note that he also has a long history of modeling in N scale!

glennk28

If it is O Scale--that Winans Camel  was probably imported by Max Gray back in the late fifties or early  sixties.  There is also an importer presently bringing in early-era models in O Scale and O Hi-Rail.
gj

richg

Quote from: 4-8-4unionpacific on February 18, 2011, 10:18:40 PM
Where did you purchase the kit to make the Winans Camel?I know it is completely off subject....sorr, I am just curious.

Some years ago I bashed a MDC/Roundhouse old time 2-8-0 following an article in RMC magazine. I slit the plastic smoke box wrapper and reversed it to simulate how the prototype had the smoke stack right at the front. You will notice the stack does not line up with the cylinders.
I made the cab from styrene and used some windows for a roundhouse. I removed the steam dome and sand dome. Made my own steam dome which is almost the same diameter as the boiler in the prototype.
The water pumps are from parts and pieces from my junk box. I did this before any Internet so never thought of taking pictures during the bash.
Again, captures the flavor of the era.

Rich

4-8-4unionpacific

ahhh thank you....I am an HO scale hobbyist and have been thinking about converting to On3.I think the use of and O scale body on HO wheels has been a great idea.....I just havent thought about it....should i do this?

glennk28

I  think that the 3-foot boom really took hold a bit after the Civil War--General Palmer started his lines in 1871-Robert Sloan's epic  "A Century plus Ten of Rio Grande Freight Cars" has good drawings of the early cars.  (BHI Publications has it) gj

Doneldon

UP FEF-

On3 is not exactly O-scale bodies on HO wheels. The narrow gauge equipment was/is smaller than full gauge trains. For example, 4'8.5" passenger cars have two pairs of seats in each row of seats but three-foot narrow gauge had three seats, two plus one, in each row. I don't know if that was always true but it was often true and it demonstrates the fact that narrow gauge rolling stock was/is smaller than full size. Freight house cars were generally 28' - 32', flats and gons were similar and cabeese tended to be pretty small.
                                                                                                               -- D