News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

wobbly thomas train

Started by TrainFan2020, January 29, 2011, 08:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainFan2020

dear bachmann,
my ho thomas train is wobbling of the rails. :-\ What should i do? ???

tim

TheJJ

Well first of all how secure is your track?

TrainFan2020

the tracks are fine,but he came of
when i made it go to fast and it came of the rails.

BillingsRR

That tends to happen with most model trains. If you run them to fast around a curve they will hop the rails and derail. You didn't mention what piece of track he fell of. If it was a curve, it most likely because he was going to fast.

ThomasFan247

Quote from: BillingsRR on January 29, 2011, 12:59:53 PM
That tends to happen with most model trains. If you run them to fast around a curve they will hop the rails and derail. You didn't mention what piece of track he fell of. If it was a curve, it most likely because he was going to fast.
You won't find too many HO scale trains that will jump an 18 inch radius curve (especially Thomas), and I'm sure the track Tim used wasn't less than an 18 inch radius. So, if Thomas came off on a curve, it was most likely a connection problem or something was physically wrong with the rail(s).

BillingsRR

That may also be the case.

I have a small HO set up in my basement to help wait out the winter and I have one of the first Thomas models sold(from the first year they were released) and when I tend to jack up the power he is constantly flying off the curves. I chose not to run him anymore so I don't damage him. I liek to run the trains at a 70 MPH speed and Thomas can't seem to handle that with out constantly flying all over the place. I have an old controller, the black base with a red nob, so the speeds on the new controllers may be different.

TrainFan2020

I forgot to switch the trackand he fell of the track

thank you for the information

tim

TrainFan2020

i also a ho set in my basement

I got for christmas is bill and ben !!!!! :D :D

BillingsRR

So Thomas flew off the points? Maybe something was wrong with the points. Thomas is a light model, so if anything is sticking up, he will tip over easier. The same thing happened to me while running one of my many Bachmann LS 4-6-0s. The cow catcher hit the points and the engine "jack knifed" into the air and landed on its side. I removed the cow catcher and now it is just fine.

ClearwtaerMK2

BillingsRR

Give him a break, it is his first creating a thread. I have no idea why people constantly spaz out because someone double posted for the first thime. You act they they just shot a person :P

jward

if you try to go through a switch that is set against your train, thomas will derail. most trains will. the solution is very simple. make sure that you have the proper route set for your train.......

that said, if you feel like wiring, you can add a signal or other indicator to show you which way the points are set.

https://secure.atlasrr.com/mod1/itemdesc.asp?ic=0200&eq=&Tp=

the atlas snap relay is wired in parallel with your remote switch motor, and provides contacts that can be hooked up to a signal, or a panel light.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

TrainFan2020

I am gonna send bachmann my thomas ho. So i hope he can fix it.

Tim

BillingsRR

Well what is wrong with him? Did he break? If he didn't, don't bother sending him in. Try running him again over the spot of track where he derailed and if he derails again try turning him around and if he does not derail, problem solved. If he just derailed, he is fine, but if something else happened to him that caused damage then send him in.
-BRR