News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Gap track

Started by MattC, January 31, 2011, 09:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattC

Hi all, I'm new and eager to set up my first layout. I have completed a diagram of an oval layout with inner and outer tracks,
on which I'd like to be able to run 2 trains. Initially I thought I'd power up each separately to keep things simple, but then I
came across the idea of gap track—which would allow me to run 2 trains on the whole layout. Can someone describe this to me,
or refer me to a source that would better explain the idea? I have been reading Bachman's E-Z Model Railroads, but found the
explanation unclear. I appreciate your expertise!

—Matt

ACY

So you want to use block wiring?  Isolate the layout into several blocks by cutting a rail and keeping one common rail, you can then wire toggle switches to either have the block off, or set the relative direction of travel. You will need two throttles for this method, also know as a 2 cab system. In my opinion though, it is much easier to get a DCC system and just hook that up, and then there is no special wiring needed, but you would need DCC locomotives. An E-Z Command can be purchased for $75-$100, while a DCC decoder can be purchased for $15, or a DCC locomotive for $40-$60.

jward

do yourself a favour and pick up a copy of any of the layout books published by atlas. the concept of block control, for both dc and dcc, is fully explained there, along with the basics of track laying, benchwork (train tables) and scenery. and you get several layout plans per book to boot......these books are commonly available in any decent hobby shop.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

RAM

Also check your local library.  Many of them have book on model railroading.