News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-6-2 Rear drivers lock.

Started by Pacific Northern, January 29, 2011, 06:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

This engine is a couple of years old and has been in storage until now. When I first received the engine I did break it in to check its performance.

I just recently added a digitrax decoder to it a week or so ago and it was running fine until this afternoon. At first when I powered on the engine did not seem to be receiving power. No lights no movement. I checked another engine and it ran fine.

I placed the engine on my test track and it started. It was running fine and then the rear wheels locked again . The front drivers work but not the rear. I can restart the engine and it will run fine a few feet and then the rear wheels lock again with the front drivers slipping in place.

With the power off the rear drivers free wheel so it does not appear to be a case of any of the rods locking.  I do not think the rear drivers should free wheel when the power is off so I am assuming it is gear or driveline related.

I sent a note to Bachmann Service regarding this problem.  

Should I wait until Bachmann service contacts me or should I just wrap it up and send it in?

Given the time of year I am sure it will be a while before I hear from the service department.

Pacific Northern

GN.2-6-8-0

Your correct in the rear drivers should not free wheel,something in the driveline is defintely hinky,have you spoken to Bachmanns service dept. yet? I would call them and talk with a live person making them aware of the problem and heed their advice first.
Rocky Lives

bobwrgt

Unless you want to take the drive train apart just send it in. Sounds like a gear broken inside. The drivers should not free wheel or lock up.

Bob

Pacific Northern

Received a reply from the Service Department this morning. Mailed engine this morning. Now I just have to wait it out for the engine's return. I certainly hope it can be repaired.
Pacific Northern

GN.2-6-8-0

Most likely what they'll do is send you a replacement  ;D
Rocky Lives

RAM

If you send it in for service, make sure you remove the decoder.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: RAM on January 31, 2011, 10:56:28 PM
If you send it in for service, make sure you remove the decoder.

I did remove the decoder from the tender. The response from the service department was quite adamant that any non Bachmann decoders be removed prior to sending the unit to them.
Pacific Northern