Is it possible to put DCC in old Bachmann Santa Fe Diesel Loco?

Started by lbyman, January 30, 2011, 11:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lbyman

My grandson (8 Yr old) and I have switched to DCC and have three steam locos with DCC installed.  We have a number of older DC Diesel Locos which we got with a bunch of HO train stuff from a former HO enthusiast.  My grandson loves the diesel locos and we are wondering if these old locos can take DCC and/or if it's worth installing.

I tried to upload a picture of the loco, but it wouldn't take the post!  It's red and silver number 307.  Hope that helps.

ACY

If they are were made before 2000 or so the they are not worth converting, unless they are brass, or are of a very high quality. If they are Bachmann, Life-Like, Tyco, etc.. then it is not worth converting them and for $10 more than a decoder you can get a new better running Bachmann loco with DCC already installed.

lbyman

Thanks for the reply.  I'm sure they are all pre-2000 vintage.  We'll just invest in a new DCC equipped Diesel loco.  These old ones have been fun for him to practice taking apart and reassembling, so they have been instructional in their own way.

Thanks again.  This is one of the best hobbies for working together with all ages and genders!

Jim Banner

While I agree that you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, you can install a decoder in any H0 diesel if you want to.  Many diesels produced between 1970 and today were good runners - better than train set quality even though not as good as the very best.  In general, adding a decoder will not improve the operation of a locomotive very much but will not make it any worse either.  Usually the difference between a good old locomotive and a bad old locomotive is pretty easy to tell:
(1) a GOL (good old locomotive) will have power pickup on all wheels.
(2) a GOL will have at least 8 wheels powered.
(3) a GOL will start smoothly and run at low speed on dc before conversion.
(4) a GOL will have a can motor and maybe a flywheel or two (only a small number of GOLs had open frame motors.)

Athearn, Atlas, and ROCO were three common brands of GOLs made in the 1970s and beyond.  There were a number of minor brands as well.  Not all of them will run as they did when new - some are worn in and run better, others are worn out, and still other do not run at all.  If you have a suitable candidate, give it a cleaning and lubricate it, then run it on dc to see it it meets your needs.  If it passes, do one more test - a stall current test.  This is a measurement of how much current the motor draws with 12 volt applied and the motor held stopped.  This is needed in order to choose a decoder with a suitable current rating.

And those Bad Old Locomotives?  Sit them on a back siding "dead line," remove the motor and gears to make dummies out of them, or if they have significant sentimental value, consider installing a decoder anyway, just so that you can run it from time to time.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

lbyman

Thanks for the additional information, Jim.  I think we will try your suggestion.  It will certainly be good learning!