News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Sound decoder

Started by Harlock37, January 31, 2011, 02:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlock37

Looking for a DCC Sound decoder to install/replace the regular DCC in my FT-A and GP40 from the fleet Digital commander set. Any suggestions? Is there one that will just swap out easily or will I need to do much retro-fitting?

ACY

There is not very much space for a sound decoder, speaker and baffle in these locos. It would require that you do some milling, remove/reallocate some things, and be very talented. I would suggest getting a dummy unit and putting the sound in there since there would then be plenty of space. If a dummy unit is not an option for you then it will be very difficult to add sound and have a good sound quality (based on size of speaker, larger is better, and a good baffle).

richg

The below link shows sound decoders for Bachmann diesels and I do not see the one you specify.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/choose/step3.php?t=ho&s=Bachmann

Below is a link from the Bachmann diagrams that might be the loco you have.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H635X_IS005.pdf

Looks like you will have to grind down the upper frame part to fit a Tsunami decoder, speaker and stay alive capacitor. Not plug and play. Figure about $110.00 for parts.

Just possibly a Tsunami light board type decoder "might" fit but will require some work by you.

I am presently modifying a Walther's FM H12-44 diesel and a similar frame require grinding down and partial removal for the speaker. You need the experience and careful planing for something like this.

There are a couple other companies with sound decoders but I am not familiar with the decoders.

Rich

Harlock37

Thanks, I got these in the Bachmann Digital Commander set on clearance after Christmas and wanted to fit at least one of them with sound.

ACY

To mill the frame, you can use a dremel with a fiber cutting disc. You need to be very careful and experienced with this or else it may not turn out well.