News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Advanced Consisting

Started by salbibona, February 01, 2011, 11:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

salbibona

I understand that theE-Z Command DCC Controller is capable of basic consisting. However, could it be used for advanced consisting on engines that are eqyuipped with decoders that have advanced consisting capability?

ACY

The only way to accomplish this without using another DCC system is just to program all your locos to 1 common address and program their direction depending which way you want each to run in the consist.

ACY

Quote from: Hunt on February 01, 2011, 02:18:22 PM
ACY,
What you describe is not Advanced Consisting.
I know it is just assigning the locos you want in the consist to the same address. I was just saying what you could do to get the same operational result with only an E-Z Command.

Ken G Price

ACY, the way you have described it is the way that I found the easiest.
I have some sets of mainline engines that always run MUed so I just program them so they run the same and use the largest numbered engine as the engine number.
Some locals are also this way and it varies with the yard switchers. Simple and easy.  :D

Running two or more engines together also eliminates dead track spots as the engines push one another over these areas. Then I can clean these spots when I get to them.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

salbibona

If the engine decoders were programmed by computer or another dcc controller for advanced consisting, could the EZ Command controller then access the "consist address: of the engines involved?

ACY

Only if it is buttons 1-9, otherwise it cannot be accessed.

mf5117

The only good way to consist with the EZ Command is the have the Locomotives on the same address . It's almost impossible to do this if the Locomotives are addressed different . I stick to Bachmann locomotives rather it be 2 or 3 consist due to they are pretty much geared and motored the same always . I have found that if I put a Bachmann locomotive lets say with a Athearn Locomotive there is some difference not alot but some . And with the EZ command not being able to change  cv settings, you cannot do advanced consisting . I run a Bachmann FA and B unit a couple of GP40 sometimes I add a 3rd and they do just fine in the forward setting in what you call a consist.

remember when changing addresses with the EZ command the Locomotive running 1st stays at the speed and direction it was at when the address was changed and then you can control the second Locomotive fast and slow forward and reverse .if you change the address to run a 3rd Locomotive the 2nd Locomotive stays at what speed and direction it was left at . and so on .

Jim Banner

Quote from: salbibona on February 01, 2011, 08:24:08 PM
If the engine decoders were programmed by computer or another dcc controller for advanced consisting, could the EZ Command controller then access the "consist address: of the engines involved?

Yes, this will work if the consist address is 1 through 9.  If you normally use 4 digit addresses, you can also use CV01 as a consist address.  To put the locomotive into the consist, reduce the value in CV29 by 32.  To return to the previous 4 digit address, increase the contents of CV29 by 32.  All you are really doing with CV29 is choosing either the 2 digit address or the 4 digit address.  If another locomotive shares the 2 digit address, you have just set up a basic consist.  When you return to 4 digit addresses, the locomotives are once again independent.  The advantage of this is that you can set up the basic consist using an E-Z Command and later use your alternate method (computer or another DCC system) to revert to the independent 4 digit address by changing only one CV.  The down side of this method is that all the active functions on both locomotives will be active in the consist as well.

You may occasionally want to consist two locomotives using advanced consisting but one of them does not support it.  You can still do the consist, setting the one locomotive to a two digit address and the other to an advanced consist.  In the locomotive with advanced consisting, you will still be able to choose which functions are active while in the consist.  In the other locomotive, you will not.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

mf5117

That's what I was saying in my post . If I was able to change .well I'm not sure how to put it or say it but . Just using my EZ command I can't run let say one of my GP40's backwards to the forward engine . If I had a dynamis or a prodigy Dcc controller lets say .Then I could and then I would just set my EZ command controller aside and let it collect dust or sell it on Ebay .

ACY

Quote from: mf5117 on February 02, 2011, 07:02:14 PM
Just using my EZ command I can't run let say one of my GP40's backwards to the forward engine.
Actually, you can do that with an E-Z Command, it is pretty easy to do too.

ACY

Here are the instructions:
On Digital systems, forward and reverse are relative to the the locomotive and not the orientation of the locomotive on the track. When you tell the locomotive to go forward it moves in its predefined forward direction. Sometimes you may wish to redefine the forward orientation of a locomotive.  It is possible to set  the direction that the train will move when you tell it to go "forwards" be
  1. Activate the locomotive by running a short distance and bring the locomotive to a stop
  2. Press and hold the locomotive's address button.
  3. Keeping the address button depressed, press and release the STOP button
  4. Release the address button - the Power LED is now flashing quickly
  5. Press the reverse direction button to set the direction opposite to its normal direction
  6. Press and release the address button - the locomotive moves slightly to indicate its response and the power LED is now flashing slowly.
  7. Press and release the STOP button
Note: During programming you should remove all locomotives from the track other then Bachmann Decoder on Board locomotives or locomotives with a decoders that have a feature called "Service Mode Decoder Lock".  Locomotives with decoders that do not have this feature that are left on the track will also be programmed to the new locomotive direction information.

mf5117

Ok I see for forward and reverse  operation, I read it on page 3 of the EZ Command Manuel . So I get the big picture now . I would program one Locomotive for forward on the same address then I assume remove that locomotive and with the other Locomotive on the same address program the Locomotive for the reverse so I could have one forward and one backward . When in doubt read instructions . I got it now went in the train room and did it by the Manuel and it worked . Thanks  so I have not been having fun for 3 years now LOL ... and only took a minute to fix the problem ....