News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-4-0 docksider repair?

Started by sp4449lover, January 31, 2011, 09:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sp4449lover

hey guys i was finally able to locate one of the little b-mann docksideres from the 80s. only prob is that it doesnt run. i took it to my hobby shop and they took a look at it, they told me that the wheels are out of quarter and that they couldnt repair it. they told me to send it back to b-mann for repair, but i know that they dont make these anymore and they would just send me a new locmotive (i think). does anyone know what i can do? i really want this one to run and i dont know how to repair it myself

skipgear

It more matters which version it is as to how easy it would be to repair. If it the version with the brass gears, it should be fairly easy to requarter and go through. If it has plastic gears, then it probably suffers from cracked gears and you really don't have any options.

I've got one of the ones with brass gears that I am working on a remotor on right now. The sad thing is the motor is worth more than the loco.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

sp4449lover

i dont know exactly what version it is, all i know is that it was baltimore & ohio #98 before it was repainted. from what can find on the n scale encyclopedia its the version from 1985. it looks like this http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/files/bach040last.jpg

skipgear

Flip it over and look at the bottom of the loco. The gears are exposed on the bottom plate. If they are brass then you have one of the better releases. If they are white plastic, then you may be in troubble. The other tell tale is the valve gear. If your valve gear matches Marks picture, then that is one of the later releases though and it probably has plastic gears, and more than likely, they are cracked. It was a problem with the early white nylon gears. Nylon shrinks slightly as it ages and this wasn't accounted for when the gears were molded. As they shrink around the axle, the metal axle is not compressable so they crack.
Tony Hines

sp4449lover

its got the same valve gear as in the picture and i checked and it does have the plastic gears, but i opened it up and the gears don't appear to be cracked, they look intact like on my other locomotives

skipgear

The crack will be a small hairline. You won't be able to see it easily. The test is can you spin one wheel on an axle without the other spining with it.
Tony Hines

the Bach-man

Dear SP,
Please be aware that a second hand loco will not be covered by warranty.
Good luck!
the Bach-man

sp4449lover

ok thanks skipgear, one of the front wheels just spins and the other doesnt move so i guess thats it

also mr bachmann, i know it wouldnt be covered by warranty but would the service department be able repair it? or are the 0-4-0s totally out of production so much that they would just send me a replacement loco of the same value?

ACY

Unless it is an easy straight forward repair, you will probably be out of luck. Did not pay attention to the fact that it was acquired second hand, it is not fair to make Bachmann replace it, if it was acquired in this state.

the Bach-man

Dear SP,
If they can repair it they will, at a reasonable rate, but there will be no replacement of a second hand loco.
Have fun!
the Bach-man