News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Help

Started by pjf, January 31, 2011, 10:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjf

To DCC or not to DCC. I am thinking of jumping in but I am confused. All this model numbers on E-bay, Bachmann DCC EZ Command 00501 or 44902.
Dynamis wireless 36505 controller or 36507.
All I can see now that one is rated 1 Amp and 2.3 Amp for the other.
Which one is the better system and which model number indicates a complete set of what I would need to run a loco. I have a 4x9 layout 8 sections with revers loop , 7 turn outs and 4 DCC locos.
Please help, your input would be of great help.
Thank you.
Peter

Jim Banner

44902 = E-Z Command DCC system - includes throttle/command station/booster ("controller") and power supply along with instructions.  This is all you need to run trains.

00501 = 44902 taken from a 00501 set which is normally a couple of DCC trains along with the E-Z Command to run them.  Some eBay sellers will break up a train set and sell the parts individually.

36505 = Dynamis DCC system complete with infrared wireless throttle.  The system includes the wireless throttle, a command station/booster and a power supply along with instructions.

36507 = Dynamis wireless throttle.  The command station/booster can use up to 4 throttles simultaneously, which is great if you want to run trains with friends or relatives.

Explanation of terms:

throttle = human to machine interface.  You turn the knobs, push the buttons and throw the switches and the throttle converts your actions into electrical signals the command station can understand.

command station = brains of the outfit.  It reads electrical signals from one or more throttles and generates digital messages or commands that are addressed to individual decoders and instruct them what to do (speed up, change direction, turn on lights etc.)

booster = combines the digital signals from the command station with power from the power supply to both power the trains and control them too.  Most command stations are combined with a booster and maybe a throttle in one package.  Larger, more powerful, external boosters can be added to provide even more power to run even more trains.

power supply = supplies power at low voltage to run the command station/booster and ultimately the trains.

decoder = receives power and digital commands from the track and acting on the commands, runs the locomotive in which it is installed.  Each decoder can be set to a different address so that commands sent to it will be ignored by all the other decoders and messages sent to the other decoders will be ignored by it.  The motor control circuits and lighting circuits can be very sophisticated.  Some decoders also include sound, often digitally recorded sound of real locomotives.

The E-Z Command will let you run a couple of trains at the same time and can hold the addresses up to 10 different locomotives for quickly switching between trains.  It will not let you program decoders except to change their addresses and to set which end of the locomotive is to be considered "forward."  The E-Z Command can run one locomotive that does not have a decoder (but doing this is not recommended for long periods of time.)

The Dynamis can easily run five trains at a time and can hold addresses for up to 40 different locomotives.  Best of all, it will let you program decoders so that you can fine tune them to get the best performance out of your locomotives.  The Dynamis can only run locomotives with decoders.

Both the E-Z Command and the Dynamis can run more locomotives if an external booster is added to provide more power.  However, they will still be limited to 10 maximum for the E-Z Command and 40 for the Dynamis.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

mabloodhound

Both of these systems are limited in function, especially the EZ Command.   The EZ has very limited program features which you may find disappointing in the future.
Look at NCE and Digitrax before "jumping in".   You may find these superior systems are within your budget and do everything you'll ever need in the future.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

ChrisS

i really like my nce power cab. for the 1.7 amp output, it runs 2 sound equipped 2-8-0's, and my sound equipped mallet at the same time with no issues, only drawing .85 amps, so there's room for more if i had more hands. the price is good for the powercab, and for another $ 75 i got a utility throttle, so i can have another operator.

Jim Banner

mabloodhound

Quote from: mabloodhound on February 01, 2011, 10:23:42 AM
Both of these systems are limited in function.

I am familiar with all three Digitrax command stations and the E-Z Command but less so with the Dynamis.  Could you please let us know what the limitations of the Dynamis are, compared to say the Digitrax Zephyr?  I understand the infrared wireless is virtually useless for outdoor, daytime railroading but I don't think pjf was planning to go outdoors with his 0n30.

pif

There are many systems in many price ranges.  Before you decide which one is for you, find out what systems are being sold and used in your area.  If friends, local model railroad clubs or local hobby shops prefer a particular brand then that is the brand you will most easily find hands on help with.  And you will need help.  Getting started with DCC can be a lot like learning to use a computer.  Everybody I know has a computer guru who they can call on when things just won't work and they cannot figure out why.  Need I mention that those gurus also have gurus that they can go to?  Same with DCC.

Jim  (sometimes the Guru, more often the student.)

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

PadreCraig

I recently entered the DCC world with a Bachmann EZ Command sytem which I bought on eBay for $69.00.  It works great for my small layout.  I'm running 3 locomotives and two Geese (yes, I'm into Rio Grande Southern).  As my space right now is limited to a 14x8 layout, I don't have immediate plans to need anything larger than the EZ Command system which will run 10 engines.  The one draw back to the EZ Command system is you can't access CV's to change sound and throttle values.  My solution was to buy a QSI Sound Programmer for $89.00 which hooks up to my laptop and a section of track.  With it I can download sounds, program throttle and sound functions, changes sounds on a current sound decoder, and reload previous decoder settings saved on my laptop.  So for $160.00 bucks I've got an easy-to-use DCC Command System (albeit limited to 10 engines) and a similarly easy-to-use Decoder Programmer.  I'm happy with my choices.  And it didn't take a bucket of money to achieve my goals.  Nor did I need to devote considerable time getting everything running.  FWIW.  Peace - Craig+

BTW - Bachmann includes a pretty good DVD with  the EZ Command system that explains things in simple terms.  I had my system up and running in under 30 minutes.

pjf

Thank you all for the very informative responces. It is a great feeling to be a part of a group that are so helpful and ready to share knowledge with fellow hobbyist.

Looks like the EZ Command is a good choice for a small layout. Being able to run DCC and DC locos got my attention. Thank you Jim.  E-bay pricing around $70 makes it easy to start a new adventure.
Regards.

Peter

railtwister

Quote from: mabloodhound on February 01, 2011, 10:23:42 AM
Both of these systems are limited in function, especially the EZ Command.   The EZ has very limited program features which you may find disappointing in the future.
Look at NCE and Digitrax before "jumping in".   You may find these superior systems are within your budget and do everything you'll ever need in the future.

Hi PJF,

Don't overlook the Lenz systems, which are also excellent (Lenz was the originator of what we know as DCC, and made their patents open so that other manufacturers could produce compatible products).

The Florida On30 Renegades have been using Lenz since our beginning modular activities, mostly because a few of our members already were using their own Lenz and Atlas DCC Commander (originally made by Lenz for Atlas, but now discontinued by both) systems, which made extra handhelds available and we've been very happy with it. I also belong to an HO module group that uses Digitrax, but personally, I prefer the Lenz. Somehow, it seems simpler to operate.

The Texas On30 Outlaws are using Bachmann's E-Z Command DCC system on their large modular layout, and by now have probably added the Dynamis Infra-Red walk-around units for added wireless control. They seem happy with it.

I have friends that are using MRC's Prodigy Squared systems on their home layouts, and they are very happy with their systems. I also have friends who have Digitrax and NCE on their home layouts who are just as happy. While I don't personally know anyone using the Easy DCC system, I have read plenty of positive comments about their products as well, both on the web and in the hobby media.

Depending on where they live, one of the biggest things for beginners in DCC to look for is being able to get good support should they run into any problems. Local support such as you might find from a local hobby store or from friends with similar equipment is important. Lacking that, there are support groups on Yahoo Groups for every brand of DCC on the market. There are also several good DCC vendors on the Web (I have used Tony's Trains, and they are excellent).

Good Luck,
Bill Nielsen
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Florida On30 Renegades

CalgaryOn30guy

My Bachmann E-Z Command # 44902 - Runs 3 Bachmann DCC On30 Engines and 1 DC engine at the same time. I found it simple to uyse.
I bought the Dynamis System # 36505 for the Wireless control but I am getting rid of it. It is OK but it turns out I didn't need it. Let me know if you are interested.
Larry in Calgary
LWENER@shaw.ca

pjf

Good things just keep coming, thank you.
Two  more questions comes to mind. The turnouts that are powered from the DC transformer will that stay the same or the DCC controllers also have AC Accessories connection. I also have a reverse loop with the double trow switch, will that need rearranging? Cheers.
Peter

CalgaryOn30guy

PJF - Bachmann has a REVERSE LOOP MODULE for use with DCC. It automatically reverses the current for you. No switches to thro. Bachmann # 44912. I happen to have one I am disposing of. Brand new with wires and the package.
E mail   LWener@shaw.ca

Larry in Calgary