News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Blind drivers on C-19

Started by mudhen, August 24, 2012, 06:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudhen

If one wanted to have flanged drivers on all 8 wheels, does or will Bachmann sell the extra 4 wheels or 2 axles to drop in, replacing the blind drivers, and what will the cost be ?
My guess is, that there are two sets of blind drivers so it can be run on smaller than 20 foot dia. track without binding ?
And just an observation ........about your video....was the stack on the Bumble Bee paint job not mounted flush on the boiler base, it looks to be leaning back towards the cab @ the 2:08 minute mark of the video. Did anyone else notice that ??????? I usually don't notice things like that, but Backmann has made me into a rivit counter, picky toward detail. You made the monster in me for narrow gauge detail, as you are so good in  detailing you engines and rolling stock.

Skarloey Railway

Doesn't the prototype have blind drivers on the 2nd and 3rd axles?
http://www.drgw.net/gallery/DRGW346/drgw_346_unknown_unknown_000 seems to be so here.

StanAmes

Quote from: mudhen on August 24, 2012, 06:10:35 PM
If one wanted to have flanged drivers on all 8 wheels, does or will Bachmann sell the extra 4 wheels or 2 axles to drop in, replacing the blind drivers, and what will the cost be ?
My guess is, that there are two sets of blind drivers so it can be run on smaller than 20 foot dia. track without binding ?
And just an observation ........about your video....was the stack on the Bumble Bee paint job not mounted flush on the boiler base, it looks to be leaning back towards the cab @ the 2:08 minute mark of the video. Did anyone else notice that ??????? I usually don't notice things like that, but Backmann has made me into a rivit counter, picky toward detail. You made the monster in me for narrow gauge detail, as you are so good in  detailing you engines and rolling stock.

The distance between the 2nd and 3rd drivers was not enough to allow a full flange on the prototype.    On some locomotives a 1/2 flange was added in later years to improve tracking in tight curves.

Indeed there are a few errors that were missed in the video.  The stack on the Bumble Bee is straight in most of the video but there are a couple of shots where the stack is indeed not on straight.  Like the K27 the stack is a separate part and can easily be removed.

Most of the locomotives in the video are early engineering samples for testing and some are missing some parts.  For example the tender on the #40 is from an unlettered model.  The production #40 has a Sunrise logo on the tender.

If you watch the video closely you can likely find a few other strange things as well.

Stan

Kevin Strong

If you're worried about the blind drivers dropping off the railhead on tight curves, don't. The wheelbase on the C-19 is 7", which is less than the 2-6-0, and the blind drivers are closer to the flanged ones, so the geometry is even more in good favor. I've put my custom C-19 chassis on a section of LGB 1600 curve, and the wheels are still over the railhead.

As already noted, the prototype had blind drivers on the #2 and #3 axles.

Later,

K

mudhen

Thanks to all for your quick responces to my post and the photo link. I learned something new tonight , I never new the prototype had blind drivers. Again, congratulations to you guys at Bachmann. You know your stuff.

Tomcat

Hi there Mudhen,

you may want to visit the No. 346 at the Colorado Narrow Gauge Museum in GOLDEN, CO.
I would be enthusiastic if Bachmann would produce the actual livery of the 346 with the green boiler, which fits this engine very well.

I´m more than just happy to see that all the prototypical changes are here and the poor 345 which did not survive the crash as a stand in for C-16 No.268 back in Summer of 1951 for Paramount pictures...
So the Bachmann model does give her another life in 1:20.3 scale.

Mudhen, yes, they all had the center set of drivers flangeless. Just as some others had.
Bachmann folks: Why not giving the On30 guys such a C-19 too...?

Cheers from Germany
Tom