News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Decapod help

Started by brisbane, February 02, 2011, 07:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brisbane

I recently purchased a Bachmann Spectrum Decapod (full Soundtraxx DCC and Sound).

However on my test track is runs jerky at low speeds and poor low speed running, although runs fine from about step 12/28 upwards. I'm relatively new to DCC and have tried to follow changing the relevant CV's and other settings (and making sure to reset after the last few times didn't really work). I'm using an NCE system which works fine with my other DCC items.

I would try it on DC, but my old powerpack chucked it in a while ago, so I can't to make sure it wasn't something mechanical.

Can anyone offer any ideas?

OldTimer

Often times, new engines come from the factory a little bit "tight."  Try breaking your locomotive in by running it at various speeds, both forward and reverse, for thirty minutes or so.  If you are running on an oval, physically turn the engine around about half way through the process.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

Joe Satnik

A figure 8 works  nicely for break in, if you have the room.
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Doneldon

bris- (sorry, I couldn't help myself)

Be sure to break in your locos by running both forwards and reverse. If you don't have a figure-eight track, be sure to turn the locos around so they get "experience" with both right- and left-hand turns.
                                                                                                                -- D

brisbane

I ran it in a foam cradle for at least an hour each way yesterday.

However on my test track today it has the same issue as it has before with no improvement. It runs much better in the cradle and has good crawl speed, so its obviously not a DCC issue but something else.

I am really disappointed in this product.

Doneldon

Bris-

Perhaps your break-in would be more effective if you actually did it on
tracks. Inverted on a foam cradle is great for working on a train but
not necessarily a good way to do a break-in. So try it on the rails and
get back to us. Good luck!
                                                           -- D

jonathan

OK.  Since your problem doesn't appear to be electrical.  Let's look at the mechanical.

1.  Are the tracks clean?  DCC is very sensitive to that sort of thing. Do you have enough feeder wires on your layout?

2.  Are there wires dragging on the tracks? as in the connecting wires from tender to locomotive.  Are the plugs seated all the way.  Might not be noticeable in a cradle run check.

3.  Are your coupler trip pins hanging too low and getting caught on the trackwork?

4.  Check the pick up brushes that touch the drive wheels.  They can be hard to see.  Are any out of alignment and getting caught in the wheels?

Just a few things to check.  Sounds like the loco runs well in a stationary position, so something mechanical is going on.

Regards,

Jonathan