News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wanted: Vintage Catalogs

Started by conradin, June 18, 2007, 08:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conradin

Since I only collect N scales, and especially older stuff, I am looking for older catalogs so that I can have a better idea of for what to hunt.  I am currently lacking the following years:
78, 83-84

Notice that the earliest one I have is 1968, because Bachmann did not enter N scale (or trains for that matter) until 68.  H0 scale started in 1970.

If you have some extras to spares to give or willing to sell, please let me know.  I will pay a reasonable price for them. 

Hunt

Quote from: conradin on June 19, 2007, 06:36:55 AM
Thanx...the most important things about having old catalogs are not because of things like special editions or new products, but rather the same products with ever changing item numbers and small design changes.
Bachmann catalogs may not be of help with timing of small design changes as Bachmann sometimes uses picture of a different scale product, e.g. picture of HO used to illustrate  N scale product.

conradin

Very true...but that seems to occur since around 2000.  When it comes to minor changes, I am concerning about things such as colors and letterings... ;)

UP5511

I have some old model railroader mags

Hoople

He was asking for bachmann catalogs.

BTW, I have Model Railroader from when it started. *Points to shelf in grandad's house*
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

conradin

Quote from: Hoople on June 21, 2007, 07:12:12 PM
He was asking for bachmann catalogs.

BTW, I have Model Railroader from when it started. *Points to shelf in grandad's house*

Can you check and find out what is the oldest Bachmann N scale ad?
I currently have Railroad Modeler 6/68 that contains a Bachmann N scale ad.
If you can look at the collection, starting from 67 and backwards...perhaps you will be able to find the very first one or two Bachmann N scale ads.  If you do find it, please let me know, and if you can, scan them?  This will solve the mystery as to when did Bachmann start in N scale.

The current belief is 1968.  However, since I have a 68 Catalog, which contains MORE lines of items and selections than subsequent years, it does not make much sense that Bachmann could produce that many products within one year, then had a major retooling one year after and dramatically started to discontinue various product lines.  If you look at *Bay, the pre-1969 cars are still out there, at an unusual high quantity ratio to the 69-81 productions.  That is, pre 69 models should be floating in Ebay no more than 1/13th of the 69-81 models, or 1/17th of the 82-98 China models, or 1/9th of the modern models..assuming each year the production numbers are the same. 

tonycook1966

Quote from: conradin on July 23, 2007, 07:42:53 PM

The missing ones are 71-72, 75, 78, 81, 83-84.

I have all the above mentioned Bachmann catalogs you are looking for to complete your set.  Sadly, no extra copies but can help you by providing scans of the N-scale sections if you're interested.

Tony Cook
Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
ho-scaletrains.net

conradin

Quote from: tonycook1966 on July 30, 2007, 07:49:34 AM
Quote from: conradin on July 23, 2007, 07:42:53 PM

The missing ones are 71-72, 75, 78, 81, 83-84.

I have all the above mentioned Bachmann catalogs you are looking for to complete your set.  Sadly, no extra copies but can help you by providing scans of the N-scale sections if you're interested.

Tony Cook

I'd like to have scans of 72, 78, 83 & 84.  At this point these are the only ones that I do not have.  Does the copy in 78 printed in March, or January? Also, does the copy refers Bachmann as Bachman brothers, or Bachmann industries?

Does a 68 and 69 catalog exists for H0 scale?

tonycook1966

I'll have to check my 1978 catalog to answer your questions.  I'm away from home today and don't have it available to me.

HO-Scale arrives from Bachmann with their 1970 catalog.  I've been reworking my B'mann site, but here's a link to it...

http://tycotrain.tripod.com/bachmanntrainscollectorsresource/

I'll work on scans and will post back here as I have them completed.

:)
Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
ho-scaletrains.net

conradin

I'd like your site a lot.  I think between you and me we probably have all the Bachmann catalogs combined.

Perhaps I should do the same thing and set up an N scale version of your website?

tonycook1966

Here is the 1971 Bachmann Catalog available online and complete with all 32 pages...

http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/bachmanntrainscollectorsresource/id38.html

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
ho-scaletrains.net

conradin

Thanks Tony....right now I have everything except 78, 83 and 84.

tonycook1966

Here's the 1978 Bachmann Catalog now online...

http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/bachmanntrainscollectorsresource/id39.html

On Page 39, you'll see Bach-Man back when he was a little kid in 1978!

Enjoy!
Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
ho-scaletrains.net

conradin

This is a booklet version right?

conradin

Which catalogs you yourself is missing?