4-4-0 Tsunami and speaker upgrade... success.

Started by bigblock454, February 03, 2011, 07:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigblock454

Well, I already loved the way the tsunami sounded, but wanted to tinker, and couldn't get over the "quarter sized" speaker or the little speaker "enclosures" in the sound equipped loco's!! I'm guessing the enclosures come from the fact that these sound systems are also in "diesels" and such that don't have a nice "sealed" enclosure that a tender naturally creates. First experiment was just removing said enclosure and opening up grill area of speaker. BIG difference!! Might have stopped there, but the lil' spkr was "clipping" with the whistle sound, just a little, but I could hear it. So installed a hi-bass QSI (31mm). It was a tight fit in that lil tender with the two decoders, and required the removal of the mounting "posts" to make room. I also opened top of tender a little and allowed some more room under the coal load. Results: Wow! Gone is that "tinny" sound that sounded like a "little plastic tender"! Much more "bark" from the chuffs, and no more "clipping" from whistle! Now to find and play with the EQ settings! I have a feeling that will REALLY get the most out of her!! Nice upgrade, big improvement! Now to quiet down her drive train (see other post), and install cam chuff!! Cheers.

Norm