Installing DCC and Sound in Athearn Blue Box F7A or B

Started by New ChooChoo, February 03, 2011, 07:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

New ChooChoo

Before I get too involved, has anyone installed DCC and sound in an Athearn BB F7A or B? The DCC is no problem,but probably would be a TIGHT squeeze for the sound...esp the speaker. The F7A has the large super power weight inside. The B unit has the same. I do have F7A & B DUMMY units too.

richg

richg

Thomas1911

I installed some soundtraxx DSD decoders with #810112 speakers in my athearn F7's.  I left the weight out and mounted the decoder to the top of the motor with double-sided tape.  For the speaker, I made a enclosure and mounted it on legs to the framerails above the rear truck.  Once the weight is removed there's plenty of room.  I usually run mine A-B or A-B-A so I don't really notice any loss of pulling power.  Don't have any pictures my install, but could post some tonight if interested.

Len

You might give the MRC "Generic Diesel" Universal Sound Decoder a try. It comes with a baffled speaker and an 8-pin plug connector on the wires. It's easy enough to remove the plug and hardwire to an Athear BB loco.

A little work on the weight with a hacksaw and file should create a space for the speaker. It's available from Walthers (PN: 500-1669) for around $80.00.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Jim Banner

The problem with sound in diesels is to produce enough low frequencies to make them sound believable.  Tiny speakers in miniscule enclosures  just cannot do it.  What you might consider doing is mount your sound decoder and speaker, or better, speakers in a dummy B unit and seal the shell to make a decent sized enclosure out of it.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.