News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Decoder for 2-6-0?

Started by dmolavi, June 18, 2007, 09:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmolavi

I've got an HO 2-6-0 that I'd like to outfit w/ a DCC decoder (sound not needed, but it'd be a nice bonus...i won't lose sleep over it though).  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
DM

rikc9

Quote from: dmolavi on June 18, 2007, 09:02:22 PM
I've got an HO 2-6-0 that I'd like to outfit w/ a DCC decoder (sound not needed, but it'd be a nice bonus...i won't lose sleep over it though).  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
DM

What brand?  Age of loco?

rikc9

Nigel

If it is a Bachmann 2-6-0 - not going to happen if you have to ask.

Best bet - buy a Bachmann DCC equipped 0-6-0, and put the pony truck from your 2-6-0 model on it.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

dmolavi

It's a Bachmann 2-6-0, purchased new about 6 months ago.  The reason I'm asking is that I'm new to the hobby, and want to know if anyone else has had success with this.  The rest of my locos are all DCC, and I'd like to be able to run this on the same track as those (I read that you can address the DC loco at DCC address 0, but that it can cause problems).

dmolavi

i hate to be a bumper, but ....bump

i've heard that the Digitrax No. DZ123 decoder will work, but needs to be hardwired to the motor. has anyone done this with either this loco, or another?

SteamGene

Okay, the Bachmann 2-6-0 is a Bachmann USRA 0-6-0 with a pony truck grafted on.  Depending on its age you may have a lot of work to do.  At the least you will have to isolate th motor, running the power pickups to the decoder and then from the decoder to the motor, making sure that no power comes to the motor through the frame.
You can run a DCC on address Zero with little or no problem as long as the locomotive keeps moving.   If you have a track you can isolate so you can park it on that track and turn off the power to it when you don't want the locomotive running.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

dmolavi

is there a way to see how old it is (serial number, date stamp, etc)? It was given to me for Christmas just 6 months ago...

SteamGene

Do you have the box it came in?  That's a clue.  However, if it runs well, it's a new one.  If it runs poorly, it's an old one and probably not worth the heartache.  The new ones MAY have the motor isolated.  I would assume that would mean some wires between the loco and the tender.  Older ones pick up on both sides of the loco and the tender is for cosmetic value only.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

dmolavi

yes i have the box. yes it runs well. no there are no wires between the loco and the tender.

thanks for bearing with me. :)

banjobob184

I have hard wired many DZ 123 as wellas DH 123 , but the motor has to be isolated from the twin frame's, other wise no way , will not work alos is the motor a can motor or is it the old style that has the motor built into the frame. This  style cannot be made conferted into DCC

dmolavi

pardon my newb-ness...is there something to look for when i take the shell off to see if the motor is isolated?