News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Any rumors of new Bachmann steam?

Started by NevinW, June 19, 2007, 10:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NevinW

Bachmann has become THE source for small HO steam.  The 4-4-0 is truely state of the art.  I haven't heared anything about future arrivals recently.  I know the Bach-man will say be patient, but I was wondering if there are any rumors of future small steam engines.  Personnally I would like to see another 2-8-0 only smaller and with slide valves.  -  Nevin

lanny

Hi Nevin,

I think a lot of us are 'waiting' with 'bated breath' when Mr. Bach Man gets the 'OK' to let us know if anything is coming down the 'Spectrum Steam Pike'.

Generally, I have understood from others' posts that Mr. Bach Man cannot comment on future Bachmann plans. Unless someone is 'really in the know' or has heard 'rumors' that have some 'fact' to them, I don't know if anyone on the forum has a 'handle' on what steam Bachmann is planning, next.

Some of us (read 'me'  :D) have come pretty close to driving Mr. Bach Man 'crazy' with 'our' (read 'my') continual requests for Bachmann to mfg a 'specific' kind/style/series of Spectrum Steam locomotives.

Sorry, Mr. Bach Man, I know I promised I wouldn't say anything more, but since Gene is keeping count, I suppose this post can be added to my 400-500 kazillioneth request for that 'certain type of steam'   :)

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

NevinW

I know the Bach-man can say nothing.  But one of the woderful things about the internet is that it is hard to keep anything secret.  Things are always popping up in websites spilling the beans about some project.  I was hoping to hear some speculation and rumors.  -  Nevin

pdlethbridge

Now would be the time to produce a USRA type Pacific like this

SteamGene

I think BLI is preparing to offer a USRA light Pacific.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

At the rate BLI/PCM is going, we will most likely never see a USRA light Pacific from them. The latest info on their web site is that they still need more preorders before they can make this model.

But, their new pricing and marketing policies discourage both dealers and consumers from making such commitments.

Just my opinion, but we may not see anything from them that is not already in production or "on the water". I think they are in trouble.

Personally, overall, I feel they made poor choices in what they offered and how they offered it and these products have not commanded the prices they hoped.

Sheldon

MrMunchkin

Sheldon, I agree 100% with what you say regarding future B.L.I & P.C.M. releases, they have spent a fortune on fancy catalogs showing products that are years away from actually existing,  their projected release dates are dreams at best, most products arrive a year or two after the forcast dates yet they continue to advertise more and more new projects. now they have suceeded in alianating their dealers by selling direct at lower prices then the dealers can afford to, and they want us to preorder, I've had a P.C.M. loco "preordered" for almost 2 years now, only to see the projected date keep being pushed back. At this rate they'll be lucky to have the stuff that they've announced so far out by 2012!
They make a great product, but what good is it if they can't deliver?
     P.M.

lanny

It seems like a good Pacific (Spectrum grade  :D) would be a pretty good seller. I sure like the general lines of your photo as a suggestion  :)

Maybe something new will pop up on the radar in time for Christmas, since some on the forum are already counting down the days and making out their lists.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Paul M.

Come on, y'all, chant with me:

2-10-4 ! 2-10-4 ! 2-10-4 ! 2-10-4 ! 2-10-4 ! 2-10-4 !
(     T&P       T&P          T&P        T&P        T&P       T&P   )   

Who's driving the Bach-Man crazy? ??? ??? ???

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Stephen D. Richards

Quote from: MrMunchkin on June 19, 2007, 06:46:27 PM
Sheldon, I agree 100% with what you say regarding future B.L.I & P.C.M. releases, they have spent a fortune on fancy catalogs showing products that are years away from actually existing,  their projected release dates are dreams at best, most products arrive a year or two after the forcast dates yet they continue to advertise more and more new projects. now they have suceeded in alianating their dealers by selling direct at lower prices then the dealers can afford to, and they want us to preorder, I've had a P.C.M. loco "preordered" for almost 2 years now, only to see the projected date keep being pushed back. At this rate they'll be lucky to have the stuff that they've announced so far out by 2012!
They make a great product, but what good is it if they can't deliver?
     P.M.

Me three!  Pre-ordered and Pre-payed for since Oct 06!  Really great stuff but bad business practice!   Stephen

pdlethbridge

The complexity of the engines is whats causing the problem. My brother had to send back his "A" as it would not run. Problems with the sound  system in the tender. Otherwise, it was a great engine and his new one is an absolute monster when it comes to pulling a train. It has the most realistic sound as compared to the actual "A". His "J" sounds terrible, like there is a hole in the speaker.

Atlantic Central

I have the BLI N&W Class A, and it is a great puller/runner. I don't care how it sounds, I have the sound turned off. If they actually make the proposed stealth version, I may buy another.

I also have two stealth Reading T-1's (unlettered - now lettered for my Atlantic Central)

Do to their lack of stealth unlettered Mikados, heavy and light, these three are my only BLI/PCM locos.

Sheldon

TwinZephyr

Given that Bachmann has used MA & PA prototypes for their previous small steam models, it is quite plausible they would make the small MA & PA 2-8-0.

Since it shares many parts with the Roundhouse old-time 4-4-0 and 2-6-0, Athearn has already done most of the work needed to re-release the Roundhouse old-time 2-8-0.

oldline1

Quote from: pdlethbridge on June 19, 2007, 12:56:48 PM
Now would be the time to produce a USRA type Pacific like this

I hate to tell you but................THAT's not a USRA light Pacific in the photo!

Since Bachmann has done the Ma&Pa 4-4-0 & 4-6-0 I would like to see them do the Ma&Pa "heavy" 2-8-0's #41-42 as they ran in the 1940-50 period. Those are really nice, chunky looking Connies that would really fit in on a lot of smaller layouts too.

We could also use the Ma&Pa passenger/head end cars as no one makes a really nice open platform wood style car. The MDC/Athearn/Horizon cars aren't that great. Craftsman kits are the only way if you can find them.

My 2¢,
Roger

ebtnut

I agree, Roger, that the photo is not a USRA, though it is a nice light Pacific that would make an excellent model.  I don't really see Bachmann doing another 2-8-0 anytime soon.  They've done quite well with the one they've got.  Don't get me wrong--I'd love to see a Spectrum Ma & Pa "heavy" Consol, but I expect they will do something like a Pacific or Mike.  Some, inlcuding me have suggested a Harriman-style loco, which would fit in with a lot of western roads.  We'll have to wait patiently and see.