News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

@#$%!! Turnout!!!!

Started by MattC, February 05, 2011, 08:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattC

I just got home with a new ez track turnout (HO Left) and my loco keeps jumping off when it is in the straight positon.
It turns fine, but I cannot figure out why it won't allow the train to go straight... are there simply bad turnouts? Should
I try to return it?

NarrowMinded

Check the coupler wires to make sure they are not snagging, if you need to bend them, or adjust your couplers up

NM

Bucksco

It is most likely something on the locomotive that is hanging up on the switch - not the switch itself.

MattC

Hi, thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I appreciate it because I'm pretty disappointed—
was looking forward to running trains tonight but ended up becoming befuddled by this...
what appears to be happening is the two front wheels of the loco pop off the track when they come
into the turnout. Do you think I might need to fiddle with the wheels? Kinda nervous to do
much to the locomotive (I'm pretty new to this).

MattC

WOW... I just skimmed the article and I already feel better! Thanks for the link!
I definitely learned a good deal tonight!

Geno

Using Bachmann EZ track and switches, I find my diesels do just fine, my 4-8-2 Mountain does fine but my Pacific 4-6-2 seems to balance in such a way that the loco shifts when the rear drive wheel passes the frog and the loco derails.  In my case, I think it is a wheelbase/balance issue with that particular size locomotive.  I replaced the switch and the new one did exactly the same thing. My couplers are fine. I'm new in HO so this is just my observation.

Joe323

From experience these problems seem to be caused a lot by low hanging trip pins. 

First watch carefully as thev train goes though the turnout.  If the pin is too low it will need to be adjusted.  I believe Kadee makes a too for this or you can try cafefully with pair of needle nose pliers.  Finally make sure your couplers are high enough and do not sag.

jward

re: trip pins.

if you are going to adjust the pins with pliers you must be very careful to get both the top and underside of the pin in the pliers the top sticks out of the coupler head and you need to be very careful that you don't shap the head off.

kadee's trip pin pliers allow you to bend and straighten the pin without touching the coupler head, and are far superior to the needle nose pliers.

re: 4-6-2:

it is odd that only the rear set of drivers derail at the frog. is this particular set of drivers in guage? does the guard rail have the proper flangeway spacing? if it is too wide, you can cement styrene to the guardrail to get the proper spacing. if it is too narrow (unlikely) a hacksaw blade will cut the proper width in the flangeway.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA