News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Standard Line

Started by adari, February 06, 2011, 12:40:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adari

Thanks Sheldon,
Well I have a GE 70 tonner and it looks good but sounds weird and operates and strange speeds. It is a new locomotive and I ran it for only 5 minutes.
Thank you all,
Adam

Atlantic Central

Adam,

Are you operatinf it on DC or DCC? If it is a DCC on board version, the kind of DC controller you may be using could be the problem. The dual mode decoder in the 70 tonner does not "play well" with all DC controllers.

Sheldon

adari

Quote from: Atlantic Central on February 07, 2011, 09:39:11 PM
Adam,

Are you operating it on DC or DCC? If it is a DCC on board version, the kind of DC controller you may be using could be the problem. The dual mode decoder in the 70 tonner does not "play well" with all DC controllers.

Sheldon
Sheldon,
I am using this with a digitrax super chief and some times with the EZ command. This engine I had custom painted #2. So it works well with both. I played with some CV's so now it starts faster but it doesn't creek like I want a goat to.

Atlantic Central

A better decoder would likely do it. On the 70 tonner the decoder ismade right onto the lighting board, so it is a bit of a rewire job, but it can be done.

I quickly learned how to bypass the decoder portion so that it would run with my DC throttles, which do not like decoders.

Sheldon

adari

Should I cut the capacitors on the motor?

Jim Banner

adari,

A better decoder will give better results.  As far as low speed performance, a decoder with BEMF control will give the best performance the locomotive is capable of.  ChrisS talks about smoother performance with Tsunami decoders.  The Tsunami decoders have BEMF control.  But there are many, much cheaper, non-sound decoders that also have BEMF control.  Digitrax uses the term "Scaleable Speed Stabilization."  Their DH163 decoders include BEMF control as well as 6 function output.  If your locomotive's motor has a stall current less than 1.25 amps, then the Digitrax DZ125 may be your best choice.  It has only 2 function outputs - headlight plus one other function which could be a rear light or something else. Most importantly, the DZ125 does have BEMF control and is compatible with Digitrax's Sound Bug low cost sound decoder.  Tony's lists them at $21 which is a real steal for this tiny, full functioned decoder.  TSC also offers decoders with BEMF control.

The only down side with BEMF control is that you will have to learn how to program the CVs (typically 3 of them) that fine tune the BEMF control.  Once set up properly, 0 on your DT400 (or whatever throttle you are using with your DCS100) will be stop.  01 on your throttle can be a slow creep with no jump start and no failure to start because the locomotive is cold or the load is heavier.  This assumes the locomotive runs reasonably well before you install the decoder.  With only 5 minutes running time, it sounds to me like your locomotive has not even been broken in yet.

As far as capacitors are concerned, you should not have to remove them to make your locomotive run properly with a factory installed Bachmann decoder.  Bachmann's own decoders are designed to run their locomotives even with the capacitors still in them.  When you switch to "silent" decoders, which almost all decoders are today, you will have to remove the capacitors.  My own rule of thumb when it comes to capacitors is "when is doubt, chop them out."  Just do not accidentally remove any resistors, diodes or chokes in the process.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

richg

Quote from: Atlantic Central on February 08, 2011, 05:36:21 PM
Quote from: adari on February 08, 2011, 03:19:16 PM

YES!

Capacitors in the 70 ton. With no capacitors, the two inductors are a moot point. The inductors look like resistors.

A digitrax DZ125 decoder with BEMF would mame this loco run very nice. I had one in a 44 ton two motor Spectrum.

Rich

adari

Quote from: richg on February 08, 2011, 07:39:49 PM
Quote from: Atlantic Central on February 08, 2011, 05:36:21 PM
Quote from: adari on February 08, 2011, 03:19:16 PM

YES!

Capacitors in the 70 ton. With no capacitors, the two inductors are a moot point. The inductors look like resistors.

A digitrax DZ125 decoder with BEMF would mame this loco run very nice. I had one in a 44 ton two motor Spectrum.

Rich

Rich the capacitors are the three things on the motor right? Is there a guide to installing sound in it or a DZ125?
Adam

richg

The capacitors are the two yellow devices in the photo. There is  possibility that Bachmann can change the location of the capacitors. I have seen Bachmann changing from leaded caps to SMD caps.

There is an article in Railroad Model Craftsman, November 2008, tittled Modeling a Rutland 70-Tonner that can be deceiving when looking for it as it includes installing a LokSound and speaker. The cost for decoder and speaker will be about $150.00 depending on your source for the electronics.
For a DZ125 decoder, figure $19.95 which is non-sound.
You will need some experience when working at the component level as this is not plug and play.
Just use the standard NMRA DCC wiring code. It always works for me.

Rich

adari

Quote from: richg on February 08, 2011, 11:03:26 PM
The capacitors are the two yellow devices in the photo. There is  possibility that Bachmann can change the location of the capacitors. I have seen Bachmann changing from leaded caps to SMD caps.

There is an article in Railroad Model Craftsman, November 2008, tittled Modeling a Rutland 70-Tonner that can be deceiving when looking for it as it includes installing a LokSound and speaker. The cost for decoder and speaker will be about $150.00 depending on your source for the electronics.
For a DZ125 decoder, figure $19.95 which is non-sound.
You will need some experience when working at the component level as this is not plug and play.
Just use the standard NMRA DCC wiring code. It always works for me.

Rich
They are the ones under the board right?

Pacific Northern

I see ONE capacitor, it is on the left side of the picture. It is located on top of the board. The capacitors are usually labeled. I would assume in this case "C1".
Pacific Northern

richg

The capacitors are right on the motor leads. Look closely at the first photo and below is a photo with the PC board removed. Suggestion, in the future download the photo to your PC and expand the view. I did that just to make sure and I saw the caps very clearly.\
Oh, there were three caps on the motor. I forgot as I have not looked at the photos in some time.

There is a cap on the PC board but it is an electrolytic filter cap for the output of the full wave bridge rectifier. You can see a thin darker band on the light brown body which marks it as a polarized cap. The PC board is the factory equipped decoder that came with the 70 ton.

I have to assume you never took the shell off your 70 ton.

Rich

adari

Thanks Rich!
Im not that great with electronics. I saw that you had a forum on putting sound in? Pretty cool.

Loco722

Hello there,

Since this is about improving the running characteristics of the Bachmann standard line, I would just like to know if anyone has attempted to install a flywheel(s) on a standard DC, 8 wheel pick and drive Bachmann GP40?

I've had my one for some time now (more than a year), it runs well, but at low speeds it growls and at times stops and tips off my Life-Like power pack.

So I was thinking of adding a flywheel(s). Is it possible? I'm open to other suggestions! :).

Thanks in advance!

Loco722.