Anyone ever seen or heard of this loco?

Started by UP5511, June 19, 2007, 10:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UP5511

Anyone ever heard or seen the union pacific 5511? It is Union Pacifics last 2-10-2. It would take a week to restore. Too bad they can't use it.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=152173

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

SteamGene

Are you sure it would only take a week?  Restoring a display steam locomotive to operational condition is a long, hard, complex job.
Generally speaking the 2-10-2 was a drag freight engine.  It might be able to pull a fantastic number of passenger cars, but it's not going to pull them very fast.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

tac

It took around fifteen years to restore SP&S #700 to Class 1 running standards.

All by volunteer work as well.  Nobody paid anybody.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

UP5511

the tour guide said this locomotive was in very very good condition.

SteamGene

Considering its age, it probably is in good condition, except for the obvious rust on the boiler jacket.  However, before it can be fired the boiler interior, to include the steam pipes, the flue, and many other components must be inspected and faults corrected.   It would have to have an annual inspection and that, alone, would probably take more than a week. 
As noted, it can't even negotiate the track outside the roundhouse because of curvature.
It's nice to see a young person interested in steam.  You might want to start learning something about the beauties.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ebtnut

FWIW, I believe that the UP 2-10-2 was "stored serviceable", and has been under cover (and under some degree of care) all these years, which means it would be in "easily" restorable.  However, the current FRA regulations would require the engine to be stripped down (and if there is still asbestos under there, that's a major task by itself) and given a foot-by-foot ultrasound examination of the boiler.  The FRA may also require replacement of the flues.  So while it might be theoretically possible to steam her up, the regs say otherwise, and it would take at least a month of hard work by a big team of pros to get her road-ready.

UP5511

It would probably take more than a week. I am new to steam locos by themself. Why can't it run outside the roundhouse?

jayl1

This is a long rigid wheel base - it can't turn on small radius track.  Check the caption under the photo.

Bojangle

It's a shame to see such a masterpiece in mothballs. 
Hey Gene, what about credit for us old folks. lol  I'm starting to get the steam bug since I now have my coal route done.   My wife  bought me a Bachmann 2-8-0 DCC and a Heavy mountain with sound, for father's day.  The heavy is due to arrive this afternoon, so I skipped my afternoon nap.
I'm not surprised at the restoration expense.  Heber Valley, Utah, the owner of UP618 raised $175,000 to restore, but I think it will hit 1/4 million before it's done.
I added the pic of 5511 to my album, thanks for the link, as I'm a UP fan.
Bo

SteamGene

Bo,
If you are old enough to have ever heard the wail of a steam whistle as you drop off to sleep, you automatically should love steam!  The youngsters, who have never stood next to one ready to depart, smelling of coal smoke, valve oil, and steam, listening to the creaks and groans, and feeling the ground begin to rumble as the rods begin to move, are the ones who really experience beauty.   ;D
OTOH, it's good that you have seen the light, brother.   :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Bojangle

Gene
The heavy just arrived in perfect condition.  No unpacking or initial setup instructions, as usual.  But with my wife's help, a flashlight, tweezers, and 20 fingers, we got the little  plugs in and set it on the track (DC).  Advanced the throttle. "hiss, toot toot, clank, chug, chug,  and it started off smoothly.  The only problem was the tender kept derailing going straight through the Bachmann turnouts.  I like running it very slow for the sound effect.  By quickly advancing and backing the throttle, you get the effect of the wheels slipping, then getting traction.  My only comment is the sound module (speaker) should be in the loco, not the tender. But it is still great.

I'm certainly old enough, but was never exposed to trains much as a kid. In the glorious 50's it was all about cars, bobby sox, drag racing and drive in movies.  So I have a lot of catching up to do.  Now that I've tested the heavy, it's going back in the box until my real layout is built.  It deserves more than the simple set up I have now.

If anyone asks, yes it runs ok on 18" track, doesn't look bad, but will be much better on my 22". 
Bo

Guilford Guy

"young 'uns" aren't all that bad, except for a select few...  :D
Lets see I have ridden behind and been up close to 3 operational standard gauge steamers, 3 narrow gauge, and too many 1/8 1/12 and 1/15 steamers.  ;D ;D

GG
Alex

SteamGene

Bo,
Which version of the USRA heavy Mountain do you have?  I have three Vandy tenders and one always picks a turnout in Keezletown.  I'd suggest putting a little lead weight over the front trucks. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat