Anyone ever seen or heard of this loco?

Started by UP5511, June 19, 2007, 10:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

GG,
Not "bad." just deprived for the most part.  You are lucky to have experienced the steam that you have, but most teens haven't had that experience.  I want to take my grandkids to see steam, starting them off in Strasburg, of course.  I might have to tie Hannah up when she sees the first Amish buggy, though she has seen a few in the Harrisonburg, Virginia area.
The problem is their parents have never experienced steam so they don't see the big deal.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

UP5511

I am a UP fan but i have only heard of the 5511 until now.

Guilford Guy

oops forgot about Strasburg, and 2 Scottish, and an Austrian Standard Gauge steamer...
so uh 3+5 is 8 so 8 standard gauge
:)
Alex

UP5511

Don't forget about the locos on the durago and silverton.

Hoople

Quote from: SteamGene on June 20, 2007, 06:48:45 PM
The youngsters, who have never stood next to one ready to depart, smelling of coal smoke, valve oil, and steam, listening to the creaks and groans, and feeling the ground begin to rumble as the rods begin to move, are the ones who really experience beauty.   ;D

Gene, I am 7-8 months older than Kobi/UP5511/HOplasser or whatever he is called, and I have seen what you describe. Standing next to 4449 as it starts is quite something. Even better when two steamers are double heading. I've even gotten the pleasure of blowing 4449's whistle.

Mark
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

Paul M.

Quote from: UP5511 on June 21, 2007, 02:22:27 PM
Don't forget about the locos on the durago and silverton.

Those are cool.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

SteamGene

Mark,
My point is that you and GG are exceptions.  As mentioned, even my kids have never seen a standard gauge steam engine in operation.  The closest they have come would be the steamers at Bush Gardens - Old Country and they just don't give the effect. 
You, GG, and a few others are lucky. I've watched kids at Starsburg and it's like suddenly T. Rex has come alive in front of them. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

kevin2083

I've been to the TVRM in Chattanooga a few times, to North Freedom Wisconsin, and some corn maze in CA, all with operational steam locos. The effect was incredible.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||