MTL replacement for Bachmann dummy knucklers (N Scale)

Started by hoboblues75, February 10, 2011, 02:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoboblues75

Is there a direct replacement MTL couplers for the dummy knucklers on Bachmann Locomotives?  Is it fairly easy to make the switch?

thanks,

Andy

mhampton

I think it was pretty short-sighted of Bachmann to install dummy knuckles on their locomotives to begin with.  Their diesels are now shipping with working knuckles, but I don't know if/when they will be available for retro-fitting or how easy it will be.  The first MTL coupler you might wish to try is the 1015.  They are a relatively easy retro into many of the locomotives by other manufacturers and hopefully Bachmann followed suit on this.

hoboblues75

thanks Mike!  Sounds like a trip to the local hobby store is in order.

hoboblues75

I am starting to think that in order to replace the dummy knuckle couplers with the rapidos provided that you must actually shave away some of the inside of the grill (where the coupler sticks through) to slide them into place.  I of course went to the hobby store and had them retro-fit with Micro-train couplers.  Train is coupling much better now.  :)

hoboblues75

ooh.. I found my answer on the forum.  You can do it but it is tricky.  They really should include this guys posts with the rapido replacements.  Check out the link if you are interested.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,2311.0.html