need help on choice of couplers and side question

Started by gandy dancer#1, February 11, 2011, 07:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gandy dancer#1

HI TO ALL: Well i am back again with questions, dont ya just love it ;D I was correctly advised by some guys here that i need to put body mount couplers on a few of my cars which have the famed talgo trucks :D Okay admittedly learning, went the kaydee site, and it was like all greek to me. So if I may ask can someone advise what couplers complete, that i need to get and install.

Side question: I have some accessories that run off 16 volts >>AC<< apparently there isnt a hobbyist ac power supply for ac like for dc?? guess i could buy bunch of the cheap controllers with ac output, but might take several as seems each one is only capable of handling one accessory. Any and all ideas are welcome, as the grandson enjoys the little action accessories as much as the trains.
M.R.BURNS

ACY

Get Kadee #148s but you can't get the bulk packs if you need the coupler boxes which you do unless you already have some. For accessories you can use a wal-wort power supply used for many electronic devices, but it has to be rated within certain specs or get some old HO/N powerpacks from a garage sale, flea market or train show.

Doneldon

gd1-

If you're in a hurry you can buy already assembled Kadees which you can just glue or screw (better) to your cars. Otherwise either purchase separate couplers and boxes or complete kits two pair to the package. Bulk packs are much more economical. Be sure to use a coupler height gauge so that they will mate up. And be sure your couplers are installed on the cars' centerlines and that the couplers are free to center themselves.

All of the same considerations apply if you assemble your own couplers, plus use a file if necessary to ensure that the coupler faces and knuckles are smooth. Many folks shoot a TINY amount of graphite into the draft gear (coupler boxes) and knuckle pivot point to further ease operation.

As for the electrical needs, some controllers have AC accessory terminals or you can use any old surplus wall wart you might have around the house, like one from an old cell phone, electronic device or tool. They are all marked with their output and you can supply several accessories from a single source as long as you don't exceed the capacity of the device.

-- D

ebtbob

One thing I always tell people.......gluing on coupler boxes should be the VERY LAST resort.   If anything goes wrong in the future,  repairs are just a disaster.   Always try to find a way to screw on couplers.  BTW.....the new couplers from Kadee,   with the whisker springs on the shank have coupler boxes that snap together,  making them very easy to work with and - of course - no gluing.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

mabloodhound

Quote from: ACY on February 11, 2011, 07:30:10 PM
Get Kadee #148s but you can't get the bulk packs if you need the coupler boxes ea market or train show.

You can get the bulk pack #148's and buy the boxes separately.   Cheaper that way in bulk and the whisker spring is easier to use than the older #5's.
Also agree to buy some screws to attach the boxes.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security